Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Thinking of getting a dog

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I normally keep the door to my office/studio mostly closed to keep the glare from the window in the adjacent room off my monitors. Levi would sometimes come visit simply by pushing the door open a little. This afternoon, I was sitting at my computer and the door creaked, as if it was pushed open a little. It freaked me out because Lori was at work. About five minutes later, I heard the distinctive noise of the doggie door flapping.

The logical side of me knows the wind was gusting outside and it was just the wind blowing on these things. The sentimental side thinks it was Levi visiting me one last time and exiting via the doggie door. I'm not a spiritual guy at all. Am I nuts for thinking that?
    I would say acknowledge the weird incident. It could be anything, even what you don't believe rationally. Nobody really knows for sure with this stuff. Just don't dwell on it or start investigating and/or expecting it to happen again. That wouldn't be healthy. It probably was just the wind.

Our dog Bruno is the first "real" pet we've had. We had a betta fish named Richard that lived from 2011-2014. Betta fish are much more interactive as opposed to the standard goldfish, as it's believed that they do actually recognize you. When he died it hit the kids pretty hard. They were small then - 12 and 7. When flushing him down the toilet my son kept crying, and I was trying to comfort him. My father-in-law was there as well, and getting on my nerves as he continuously chastised him for crying. "Just get another one" he would say. While there was no real attachment for me or my wife, I could certainly understand the kid's attachment at that age. They loved the little guy. A few years later we got another betta fish and named it Leo, but he died after only two months. That hit my daughter hard, as she felt responsible for not keeping the tank clean. I think the poor fish got poisoned by the dirty water.

We've had a couple of scares with Bruno. A few months after we got him we were painting the bedroom walls upstairs. We kept him downstairs but I think the fumes still got to him, (even though it was water based paint), as he started acting sluggish and throwing up his food. Then we noticed drops of pee wherever he walked, and then ultimately his hind legs gave out and he tried dragging himself. It was quite the disturbing sight. I grabbed him and we went straight to the vet where they gave him a shot. He was fine the next day. That same year there was another incident where he ran out of the house and down the street. We were always careful when opening the front door, but that day he slipped by all of us and ran. My son chased after him but couldn't catch him. I was at the front door and as soon as I saw him run into the street I said to myself "oh no Bruno's going to die today". I was full of fear. Luckily somebody else walking on the opposite sidewalk managed to block him and my son caught up to him and grabbed him.

Now there's no problem even if he runs out, he just stays on the front porch. He's way more disciplined and won't run wildly into the street, but still we try to prevent him from running out.

Junior Potato
    The last time I lost a cat, I’d keep expecting to see it in its usual curl-up spots, or would see it out of the corner of my eye, but it turns out it might be the door mat, a chair cushion, or something else on the floor that would set off that reaction in my brain.

Easily the worst part was losing the companionship, as pets fast become your most loving and loyal allies - just that void of them not being around and doing *pet stuff* to compliment the din of activities in your day will be very hard.

Makes you wonder why people voluntarily adopt pets… the little shits fill our hearts and then break them with their stupid shorter life spans. Arseholes.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Arseholes.
    Absolute little shitheels.

Haha…

Well, It’s probably better this way, I’d hate to die 1st and have my pets sent to the shelter… also, it’s almost unbearable for me to see pics of dogs sitting and waiting patiently next to a casket or a dead body…

Anyway, as we get older, for sure we’ll slowly phase these little assholes out because I would not want them to out live me and be crying for me…

Junior Potato
    Well I am pretty sure that if I died before my cats did they'd be able to survive off the meat for weeks. Months, even.

Yeah, not sure if cats are as loyal as dogs!

But then again, I’d rather be fed to my cats rather than have them starve to death!

I'm still having feelings about Levi. Every time I see the clock on Levi's normal feeding time, I think, "Oh, I have to feed Levi." Today, we were coming home after a week-end away and I had a momentary thought of, "Oh, it will be nice to get back to Levi." Of course, I very quickly remember that Levi is no longer there. It's just going to take a little while longer yet to be over him. I dote on any dog I see now.

Junior Potato
    Pets truly are special creatures.