Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whales suck

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

Whales suck

Especially North Wales.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/d...t-street-title

Bastards. First we lose the Cricket World Cup to the UK, now we've lost the steepest street, all in a couple of days!
    I bet the same people that gave England the cricket win were the same that decided their street is steeper.

Well, i'm not standing for it. I'm going to fly over there, hire an excavator and dig the whole bloody street up. Or the whole hill, so it can't be rebuilt.

This city has no world records anymore, so you all mayaswell cancel your plans to come here now. Not worth coming to a 'second best' steep street.

It's (another) sad day for Kiwis.

100% thought this was going to be a video of orca's playing with their food

Ha, not this time sorry.

Unless there are requirements different than what has been advertised everywhere, a lot of people still think Baldwin St is still the steepest street. And here's why:

BY DEFINITION, FFORDD PEN LLECH IS *NOT* A STREET

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/street (see point 1 a)
    Definition of street (Entry 1 of 2)
    1a: a thoroughfare especially in a city, town, or village that is wider than an alley or lane and that usually includes sidewalks

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lane (see point 2 b)
    Definition of lane (Entry 1 of 3)
    1: a narrow passageway between fences or hedges
    2: a relatively narrow way or track: such as
    - A: an ocean route used by or prescribed for ships
    - B: a strip of roadway for a single line of vehicles

Baldwin street is two way, and even at its steepest point there is still a footpath on one side.

So in theory there almost needs to be a new record, 'World's Steepest Two Way Street', as someone suggested on Stuff.co.nz comments.

This is actually something to be taken seriously, because i'd say there are hundreds of similar steep one direction/one lane steep 'streets' around the world which could now be classed as the steepest. Guinness need to clarify this (i tried emailing them, but the auto reply said it would be two weeks until they could reply back).

Whales blow...

and sorry about your loss!

If it's paved then it counts as a street.

So I went to see where Canton street here in Pittsburgh ranks among the steepest in the world; all the news results that came back are local articles pissed off about the Welsh road beating it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

Anyway, the inference is that Baldwin St. was never the steepest as we happen to have the now second-steepest street here. The Welsh street is 37.45% grade, Canton is 37.00% grade, and Baldwin is only a 34.96% grade.

My guess is Canton didn't go through the rigors of the certification process for Guinness.

There is like 20 roads in Pittsburgh that could compete. I just don't don't think we care. Which is strange for us.

Rialto Street is the one that weirds me out. It's not a little neighborhood street like the ones here. It's a big giant steep road that dumps onto Rt. 28, a 4-lane divided highway. That thing feels steeper than the incline.

Yeah i think the submission requirements Guinness set are actually a tonne of work, and according to an editor there a lot of people/councils etc just give up on it because of the intense amount of proof needed.

I went to Baldwin St today and there were still bus loads of people getting on and off, so it hasn't lost its attraction yet. Funnily enough some people have 'amended' the Worlds Steepest Street sign, by putting tape over Worlds.

The editor of Guinness also said that Baldwin Street is a much nicer looking steep street than the new one, and better for tourist interaction (i.e. photos, events etc).

Sick of seeing this photo on the Baldwin St Wiki page too, should get one of our Skylines in the shot instead...
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; July 17th, 2019 at 07:52 PM.

Junior Potato
    This video was uploaded only a couple of weeks ago.