Thread: CBS is live streaming mission to the moon!!!

CBS is live streaming mission to the moon!!!

Actually, not quite live..., due to technical difficulties, we're experiencing a 50 year time delay!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ago-180972165/

Saw this excellent Smithsonian article about our moon mission in the 60s...

Has no idea most Americans, including the scientists working on it, thought going to the moon was a bad idea, due to cost. Another shock was realizing JFK couldn’t careless about space, he just wanted to make sure he beats the Russians!

If he wasn’t assassinated, most likely the program won’t survive politically...

I always thought most Americans were all united under that singular goal, the amazing accomplishment that momentarily unite the whole world... Guess not.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Walt Disney actually helped convince the American public about the feasibility of the moon mission with promotional films, including Werner Von Braun (what a turnaround that guy had)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ago-180972165/

Saw this excellent Smithsonian article about our moon mission in the 60s...

Has no idea most Americans, including the scientists working on it, thought going to the moon was a bad idea, due to cost. Another shock was realizing JFK couldn’t careless about space, he just wanted to make sure he beats the Russians!

If he wasn’t assassinated, most likely the program won’t survive politically...

I always thought most Americans were all united under that singular goal, the amazing accomplishment that momentarily unite the whole world... Guess not.
    JFK also wanted to do it as a combined effort between the US and USSR. He had two meetings with Khrushchev about doing exactly that and they were somewhat close but Khrushchev backed out because it would give the US a peak inside the USSR scientific community and would show how far behind they actually were as a whole.

Really? Didn’t know that...

Anyway, I think this sort of put things into perspective... although the free world seemingly has more problems, or the tyrannical ones just appeared to have it more under control, it’ll always be better if we’re free.

Sorta gives me hope that although our current day world is similarly messed up, great things could still achievable as long as we don’t give up...