Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette C8 - Finally a mid-engined Corvette

Robert Cumberford: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Design Analysis: “I’m Sorry, but I’m Disappointed”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...sign-analysis/

I am deeply sorry to be severely disappointed by the styling of the C8. I hoped for something really new and exciting, not a boringly generic supercar, mostly indistinguishable from the many and varied unimaginative devices that show up regularly at the Geneva auto show. Its styling is confused—and downright messy in fact. I count a dozen horizontal lines, not to mention four convoluted taillights; four nice rectangular exhaust tips; plus varied slots, vents, grilles, indented surfaces, and wing elements . . . just across the rear fascia. The front is no better, and the profile with its short, stumpy nose is equally surprising. Maybe it’s all meant to look purposeful, but to me it seems just a careless, cluttered graphic composition, not worthy of Corvette history and what we expect of this technically brilliant descendant of the Jaguar-inspired elegant original C1 from 1953.

I have no doubt that this will be a very good car, with truly world class performance coupled with American-style daily usefulness and (perhaps) easy servicing—dry-sump engines are not typical dealer shop fare. But I’d have liked to see some traces of the Astrovette or the four-rotor mid-engine concept from the Bill Mitchell era.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    If this was closer to the Supra price, it would be difficult to justify getting a Supra over it IMO

Ummmm, only 10k difference, and a massive performance differential.

I'm waiting to see what they do with the Z06/ZR1 or whatever the high performance versions will be.

Also, what they will do with the Camaro with a lot more headroom for performance and price, and really since they are different enough types of cars, they could be similar in those areas to not completely step on each other.

The current posture is that the Camaro is out of production in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    This morning it has been confirmed that the Corvette will be produced in right-hand-drive for the first time ever, so it’ll be able to be sold in other markets. Holden will be selling them in Australia starting early next year.
    And probably for not much more than the needs-RHD-conversion Camaro!

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Ummmm, only 10k difference, and a massive performance differential.
    Yeah, gotta say that with a 10k price differential given the performance differential it's going to make people queuing up for a Supra think twice. There's already people withdrawing their deposits for the new GT4 and getting this instead. It really monsters that achievable dream car end of the market.

Agreed. I think this is an amazing achievement from GM and I applaud their efforts.

I can now look forward and think that how cool will it be to pick one of these up for 30K in 5-6 years. I'm psyched!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I do want to wait for reviews and owners thoughts on this, before saying it's the best thing ever, though I know that probably the best work GM does is in their Corvette models.