Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette C8 - Finally a mid-engined Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Agreed. I think this is an amazing achievement from GM and I applaud their efforts.

I can now look forward and think that how cool will it be to pick one of these up for 30K in 5-6 years. I'm psyched!
    ^Yup. Hope they sell a lot of them and they don't suck.

It seems like GM is going after a younger fresher audience with the C8. CorvetteBuyer is aging. It does also make sense what they are saying about power levels and weight distribution, if they want to keep making the car faster and faster on a track. The younger buyers in particular will appreciate the incredible price/performance ratio.

I read an interview today where one of the engineers was talking about the structural and packaging interplay between the front wheel well and the drivers legs. It sounded like a 3rd pedal would be ergonomically awkward, or, more probably, unlikely altogether. This also left me with the question - how much front wheel/tire will fit?

I'm excited about it. Half the photos I see I think "this looks nice." The other half leave me disappointed. I do think it'll age poorly, it almost seems generic and in no way classically beautiful. So many slightly awkward lines and creases, so many angles overall yet it doesn't pull off the wild Lamborghini look. I saw a C7 Z06 yesterday and in contrast to the images of the C8, the C7 seemed simple and elegant. But not boring.

Seems to me the ZL1 Camaro is the new Corvette. Honestly having autocrossed both the newest 1LE-equipped Camaros and a few C7s, I'd personally choose the Camaro even if price no object. It's a better drivers car. The C8 looks to be moving the performance bar further from the Camaro. Let's hope the C8 can also improve on driver feel.

Supra does look a little silly now, but my guess is it will be better at daily driving than the C8 so it may still have relevance beyond the nostalgia factor.

I mentioned it elsewhere but I agree with your last thought. I love the idea of the C8 as a Track Night toy. But I can't picture what else I'd use it for in an enjoyable way. I wouldn't want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic and park it in a garage all day at work.

I prefer the C6 Z07 look over the C7 and C8.

RE: long time/aging Corvette fans, after seeing how curious and excited the people at the Corvette Museum for the Le Mans race each year are for the mid engined car, I've been thinking that we're over estimating their objections. They were alive for the concept cars, they remember the story of Zora wanting to make a mid-engined, AWD car to handle the output of a big block, and they still like the idea of being faster than a Ferrari for a third of the price.

Does it look like a Ferrari? Yes. Every modern Corvette has looked a bit like a front-engined Ferrari from the previous 5-10 years. Now they will look like a mid-engined Ferrari from the last 5-10 years. It is not a bad thing to look like a Ferrari, perform just as well if not better, and cost $100k+ less. Hint: that's kind of their market. They have always been the American version of a European sports car, since service men were bringing back the little British sports car they saw/bought while deployed in WW2.

If the car had a manual transmission, I'd probably talk myself into loving it. Once there's a hybrid+NA V8 version, I probably will. For now, I can say that this is the best Corvette ever made while personally preferring the C7 Grand Sport.

And I agree, the wheel choices are not good. One of the easiest things to fix in future model years, though.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; July 22nd, 2019 at 11:13 AM.

I thought it's a good looking car... I wouldn't be surprised GM eventually come up with an electric version to compete with Tesla Roadster... the Chevy Jolt!!!

Previous body styling with the long nose probably wouldn't be ideal for an EV...

Anyway, feel sorry for Supras, NSX, or whatever Japanese can offer... it is mind boggling how GM can do supercars so cheaply.

Am I the only one that thinks it doesn't look at all like a Ferrari? Maybe they shouldn't have used red for a launch color, and those wheels.

I think it looks like a Corvette. They did a good job of taking a C7 and making it mid-engined. But the rear is still kinda icky.

Ummmm. Not use red for a Corvette ...

You do know there is a saying among the Corvette faithful "All Corvettes are red, everything else is just a primer."

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks it doesn't look at all like a Ferrari? Maybe they shouldn't have used red for a launch color, and those wheels.

I think it looks like a Corvette. They did a good job of taking a C7 and making it mid-engined. But the rear is still kinda icky.
    Looks like a generic try- too-hard- mid engined sports car.
    I really don't like the lines. The Acura is ... awkwardly styled, but I think it does this style better.

Honestly if they would have based this on the styling language of the C6 it might have gone better, IMO. Then again, I really like the C6 styling.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Ummmm. Not use red for a Corvette ...

You do know there is a saying among the Corvette faithful "All Corvettes are red, everything else is just a primer."
    I thought its color was yellow.

As in, Ford's got the blues.
    acket.

The more pictures I see, the more it hits me that there's no flow to the design. Its proportions are decent, but every surface seems to be broken up by odd angles in multiple planes. In light colors, all the body seams around the side windows, hatch, and roof are off-puttingly random, too.

It probably will look best in black or very dark colors. With different wheels.

But I'll go back to the lesson my AW11 taught me. The driving experience far outweighs how a car looks, to me.

I don't get the Fiero meme either. Other than it being a mid-engined product from GM, they share no similarities.