Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a new PC

Recommend me a new PC

I was writing a long post about why, but you don't need to know all that junk. I am out of touch with tech these days. I'm thinking of a new PC and I need options. I want to be able to play the latest sim racers. Budget: ~$1000. GO!

Oh shit you just opened a Pandora’s box of so much nerd speak...

They are on their nerd websites designing their nerd builds for your budget right now!

Junior Potato
    Lucky for you, 3rd-gen Ryzen is here and it’s good. Assuming you've already got a useable case, power supply, storage etc that you can swap to a new build, I quickly specced out the following bits for CA$1008.

Ryzen 5 3600X
    X570 motherboard
    GTX 1660 Ti
    16GB RAM

RAM:
    https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-2...82E16820231941

GPU:
    https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-gefor...82E16814932131

Mobo:
    https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813144...82E16813144263

CPU:
    https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-5-36...82E16819113568

If you need to buy some other bits or want to get an SSD and stay within budget then you could scale back the CPU to a 2nd-gen Ryzen 5 and free up about $120. Either way it won’t impact your performance that much, although you will lose compatibility with all the fancy features on the new chipset, but it will still be a great gaming machine and an excellent workhorse for processing your videos for YouTube.

While I am not opposed to building my own from parts, pre-made is preferable. I would not mind just picking up a turn-key already assembled box.

Administrator
    Not sure how long ago your last build was, but over maybe the past 4-5 years or so they've gotten insanely easy. So much is on the motherboard now, I only have two cards in my PC now, one to give me a few extra USB3 ports and the video card. SSD hard drives are so tiny (especialy the NVMe ones) that there's none of that battling over room/cables that you used to get. Add to that modular power supplies and cable management is a cinch. It used to take me a few hours to put together a machine, I think I put my last one together in like 20 minutes.

That said, if you find a good turn-key assembled box, you can often find a good deal on that since they're buying in bulk. I'd just make sure there's room to upgrade - those NVMe drives are getting cheaper and are insanely fast, and you're going to want room eventually for some monstrous video card.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    While I am not opposed to building my own from parts, pre-made is preferable. I would not mind just picking up a turn-key already assembled box.
    With this in mind, did you want to use it to double up as a video editing machine too? It can be tax deductible then, if your YouTube/Instagram stuff is generating some income. It might allow you to stretch the budget a bit

Thanks for reminding me of that. Yes, it will be a video editing and art machine predominantly. I will need monstrous storage for raw video.

By the way, RWA, I live in the USA again.
    Last edited by Cam; August 3rd, 2019 at 05:28 PM.

Similar to RWA. x570 motherboards aren't essential and probably overkill for a 3600x unless you need PCIe gen 4 storage capabilities. You should be able to get the Tomahawk Max motherboard by the time you buy, wasn't listed yet but is releasing right now. It has a larger storage chip for the BIOS which will allow it to run the full fat/fancy GUI that MSI have developed for the Ryzen 3000 series. Came to $1002 inc. rebates. You'll just need to add on O/S, presumably Win10.

CAM sample build.JPG

I hit the easy button and configured a system with Velocity Micro. Don't judge me! I had one of their PCs in the past and had a positive experience with their customer support. I know I could have saved a bit of money building it myself, but I am not concerned. I will not get it for a week or two.

Edit: I attached a screen grab of the specs, but the forum auto-shrunk it so small that it is illegible.
    Attached Images Attached Images