Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thump, thump, dip, boom. Music with great basslines.

*Raises hand* (Also, for some reason I think DN and I had a conversation about Cyberpunk a long time ago. So there's 4 people)
    Its a pretty good record, and I have a very specific memory of when it came out: My cousin worked at a record store in Colorado Springs, we were visiting them and I was hanging out with him until he got off of work. They got a shipment of promo materials for the upcoming weeks/months, and a bunch of flats and posters for Cyberpunk were included, along with a 3.5" floppy with the album cover on the sticker. We took it back to his place (no computers at the store, why would you ever need a computer at a music store?) and fired it up. It had a bunch of digital art that looked all futuristic, some links to BBSes (including The Well, I think) and Billy Idol's personal email address.

So obviously, we emailed Billy Idol. It ended up being a pretty nice conversation - he mentioned that we were some of the very first people to get in touch with him through the disk, asked how we liked the album, and then we went back and forth about books and on where we thought the future of computers and being online would go. I kept up chatting with him for maybe two or three years after that. In retrospect, it was weird in the way all that early online stuff was where the world was really small and pretty much everybody knew everybody through about 2 degrees of separation.

Found a page about the disk https://robmyers.org/2013/04/28/bill...-promo-floppy/
    -Formerly Stabulator

^ good stuff!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I hear your NeoTokyo mid-tempo minus and I raise my norteņo is the new black card.

Spoiler:
    Not entirely sold on either.
    acket.

This may belong here, in the Old White Guy category, of course.

While I don't think there are any actual "four-letter words" in the lyrics, they are hilariously crude and NSFW.

if this don't make yo booty move yo booty must be dead.
    acket.

Two thoughts.

Melbourne bounce. It wouldn't gain much from having longer songs, but boy they're pretty short tunes.
    East/West. Sorry Pac, but Biggie had the meatier bass.
    acket.

East coast is the only coast

Wesside fo' lyfe.

Sledgehammer- Peter Gabriel.

But for probably the most righteous bass groove; I'll take you there, Staple Singers.

And I can't leave without a nod to Bob. Heathen; Bob Marley and the Wailers.

acket.