Page 105 of 132 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1315

Thread: F1 2020

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    don't know. since it was announced that there was a pushback bc covid, things have been muddied. and with horner lobbying for an engine freeze so they can take over from Honda... who knows, really.
    acket.

It really makes no sense to have a new engine formula at this stage... when most of the nations are looking to ban ICE in the near future...

Should freeze the ICE and perhaps allow teams to update their electrical part of the powerplant?

Anyway, it'll really be funny if RB returns to winning the championship a year after Honda withdrew from F-1.

I do like the idea of F1 being seen as entertaining in the hopes they go to the V10 or V8 days

things have escalated quickly on that front. 2021 would be rb's last year if there's no engine freeze for 2022.

Ferrari are firmly opposed to a halt in engine development.
    acket.

Of course Ferrari could continue to develop their sorry engine, they just should freeze the engine formula.

I do agree with JoeW though, it’d be nicer to have a freeze with their previously better sounding NA engines than the current one...

Current plan AFAIK is that the hybrid engines continue through 2025 with increasingly limited number of revisions each year to control costs.

Strangely, Mercedes were very supportive of Red Bull's request for an engine freeze, wonder why ?

The idea of bringing all engines to near-parity and then freezing the specs to 2025 has quite a bit to recommend it IMO. A five year freeze would slice a significant chunk of cost out of the sport, helping keep manufacturers and teams in the game. The engine parity would put more teams in contention for race wins and the championship (or at least closer), making driver performance a bigger factor and keeping fans interested - it would give Ferrari, Red Bull and perhaps others a bit more of a shot. And this would be achieved while keeping the mechanical interest of four different engines.

Of course, it's easier said than done. "Parity" has to be defined, two engines might make the same horsepower but differ in driveability, economy, reliability, size, weight, altitude performance etc, so someone could still be left with a built-in disadvantage. And do you compel Mercedes to let Ferrari in on the secret of how to make power without cheating? Or you freeze Mercedes' engines but let the others continue to develop until they reach equivalence, perhaps.

Overall though it seems a good way to keep the sport healthy and buy time to work out what to do from 2026 on. IF they can work out the details and get everyone to agree (!)

Read a rumor that Russell “may” be out of a drive next year as Williams looks to bring Perez into the team.

That would be dumb.

I think it'd be good for George, actually. Cars aren't really changing and he has enough experience in F1 for a guy his age, and he got to spent a lot of time with one of the highest regarded drivers of his generation; Kubica might not be fast anymore but he is really smart and people who've worked with him have said that he is de-ter-mined, that sort of thing can shape how a young guy goes about his professional life. Russell is really appreciated by Toto and if he could be sent to F-E for 2021 it might actually be better to get him back into the winning mentality.

I think it's pretty much a fact that Bottas' seat is his, Russell should have been advanced to Mercedes for 2021, but this was a weird year and Bottas got resigned way too early into the season.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    I think it'd be good for George, actually. Cars aren't really changing and he has enough experience in F1 for a guy his age, and he got to spent a lot of time with one of the highest regarded drivers of his generation; Kubica might not be fast anymore but he is really smart and people who've worked with him have said that he is de-ter-mined, that sort of thing can shape how a young guy goes about his professional life. Russell is really appreciated by Toto and if he could be sent to F-E for 2021 it might actually be better to get him back into the winning mentality.

I think it's pretty much a fact that Bottas' seat is his, Russell should have been advanced to Mercedes for 2021, but this was a weird year and Bottas got resigned way too early into the season.
    So Russell more or less confirmed the plan at Williams was three years. Some have said Mercedes pay his wages and he may even be directly contracted to Mercedes due to this rather than with Williams, so Williams don't have to but I'm also unsure if they get any Engine compensation or discount for taking him. There may also be a financial penalty for Mercedes taking Russell earlier than the three years. The issue is, of course, that Williams is no longer owned by Williams, it's owned by Dorilton Capital. If Perez brings sponsorship, and he most certainly does in Telmex, likely (a guess here) €10-15m or so a season. If Mercedes are paying George £250k and Dorilton get a £2.5m discount on engines from Mercedes (again, complete guess) then that's still a huge amount of cash into the team for taking Perez on board compared to currently. Even if they don't get an engine rebate/discount that's still £5-£7.5m a season up on where they were before. Latifi also brings cash, although likely less than Perez would.

Williams and Dorilton are in a difficult situation. I, for one, think George deserves his place and will be at Mercedes in 2022 if he's allowed to continue at Williams next season. However, Perez is also a fast driver and should be in F1 too. I'd love to see Perez and Hulk at Haas, but there's also some talk of Kyvat getting the boot, Albon moving back down and Hulk in at RB. Likely just fan wishlist though.