Page 91 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2020

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    That's about the most stupid rule ever devised. But not surprising coming from Jean Todt's FIA.
    acket.

In the new Concorde Agreement are teams still financially rewarded for their performance at all? Or is the spread just closer to even compared to now?

Who knows for sure. Ferrari's bonus stays there, I don't know if Williams still holds theirs or if it has been devalued by Mercedes' achievements.

Dude, now that you're here... F1 drivers have said they want more gravel traps, Michael Masi says they're not really feasible at all circuits or the best solution overall. What's the difference between the kitty litter and the runoff? I ask you bc I'm sure you're the only one of us who's gotten it wrong in both.
    acket.

I think the best solution is Track edge>curbs narrower than the cars>grass/dirt for at least a car's width>Tarmac runoff. Then there's a penalty to exceed track limits, but if you do make a mistake your race isn't over, and you don't drag a bunch of crap on the track for others.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; September 19th, 2020 at 07:52 AM.

Yeah this ^. A 'natural' track limit that hurts your time if you exceed it, and then paved runoff beyond that to add friction to slow the cars before they hit the barrier. But you would need either a wider strip of grass than a car width, or a section of low-grip asphalt beyond the grass, in order to deter drivers from going wide in a particular way so as to skip across the grass and still gain an overall advantage. The trick with dirt is that it gets scooped out and redistributed if enough cars use it, which can make for dangerous holes or transitions back on to pavement. Grass is a little better at holding together but would still need maintenance on race weekends if it's used much.

It's a tricky problem without a real obvious answer. I think drivers want that natural deterrent to exceeding track limits, so that we don't have race control making judgement calls of "how much of the 4th tire was touching the white line if at all?". Most want mistakes to be punished. At the same time I think many (not all) would agree that gravel traps can be excessively punitive because it's rare that a car can recover from them.

It seems gravel traps work better at lower speeds - at high speeds an F1 car even with all its downforce will kind of skip across the surface (as we saw with Stroll last weekend). High friction runoff pavement, like at Paul Ricard, might be the best solution I've seen. I'd imagine top-heavy hot hatches wouldn't be best suited for that kind of runoff though, because it'd increase rollover likelihood.

I keep making the argument that new tracks are just subtle curbs and paved runoff because they want to make them friendly for track days and other high speed amateur events. The racing for the ~3 weekends where you can get a series with a television may not be exciting, but all of the other time that you are open for well heeled local and regional punters to come by and pay you track fees will be better off for it.

I'm not in the track day demographic, for multiple reasons (lack of money, aversion to risk, lack of mechanical aptitude), so maybe I don't fully understand the mindset, but I feel like if you build a track that, all else being equal, has a reputation for letting you learn and get things wrong without doing major damage to a car, that's good for business. I have a lot of warm fuzzy feelings for the National Corvette Museum's race track, but before I went to watch Tyler and Nate at the Time Trial Nationals I heard it had a reputation for eating cars, and then I saw it happen live. Repeatedly.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    Asphalt runoff but for pro-racing series weekends line all the corners with soapy slip 'n' slides. Not all the way, just a couple of car width's before you can catch traction again on the runoff.

Another reason for all the easy curbs and runoff is motorcycle racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobbo NZ View Post
    BRING BACK HARTLEY! 😁
    No! Why?
    acket.

Hehe.
    Maybe he can pull Haas out of the shit with his good car development and feedback.