Page 119 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1315

Thread: F1 2020

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

When they first showed the shot of the helmet support device embedded through the fence...that was chilling.

Dammit Perez!

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    That was unreal. Glad he’s okay...

Junior Potato
    By my rough count Grosjean was in the car with that inferno for 25 to maybe even 30 seconds. This is an age in terms of self-extraction requirements, which I think is either 8 or 15 seconds. His biggest problem was the bent ARMCO barrier over the cockpit preventing his escape. And he walked away with only a few burns. This is incredible.

Think abut how physically fit and of sound mind you would have to be to realise what has happened, not panic, find your seat belt buckle, get the wheel and head restraints out of the way, climb up past the mangled steel, and leap over the barrier, all with burned body parts, after a shunt at 250km/h with massive G-forces, while you're on fire.

Nuts.

That is the biggest deal of all. He just sustained a mind exploding hit and most certainly was disoriented for a few moments and in shock. And he still pried himself out of a blazing inferno with little to no injuries.

A few years ago without a halo...instant death.

I mean damn...if you ever want to find the safest fucking race vehicle in the world...F1 has to be it.

Still, I don’t recall such a blazing inferno involved in modern racing accidents... looked scary. Really glad he was able to jump out of that and not be trapped in it...

Its great how far safety has come and hopefully that'll shut the naysayers up about the halo.

It was the same when my dad started racing in the late 60s, they fitted seatbelts to their Mallock U2, where others resisted due to it being a hassle and would rather be thrown clear in an accident.
    There was a sad picture he kept from a newspaper article of a fellow competitor, taken in mid air after his throttle had jammed and the car slammed into the bank at the end of the straight.
    He was sadly killed after hitting trees on the way down.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    so I'm wondering...in that kind of crash if it had a fully enclosed cockpit, would it have made it better or worse? I'm thinking the ease of exiting the car if the cockpit area was damaged

Fire suppressor in the cockpit might have helped him for 30 seconds while trying to get out, otherwise the marshalls would probably have to extract him somehow, whether removable panels or something.