Page 120 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1313

Thread: F1 2020

Ask me about my bottom br
    Leclerc whacks Norris before the corner, something comes off Norris' right hand side and makes with Grosjean's car at exactly the same time that he starts to move to the right to go for the gap that Magnussen is opening, Grosjean's right-front tire loses contact with the track and there's a wobble on the steering wheel right here:

Captura de pantalla (405).jpg

It's difficult to tell if that wobble was caused by Grosjean's correction or because of the piece of debris unsettling his car. An instant later he bumps Kvyat's front-left and any chance of that car not skating across the asphalt disappears.

Right after 'freak accident'.

Edit: Not Leclerc, it was Gasly who cut across Norris'.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; November 30th, 2020 at 07:25 AM.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    It's difficult to tell if that wobble was caused by Grosjean's correction or because of the piece of debris unsettling his car.
    If you could visualize a reference plane running parallel to the middle of Magnussen's car, the wobble happens before Grosjean's past that plane. A few frames before the screencap.
    acket.

I honestly think it was Romain's mistake and he didn't know Kvyat was there. He saw the car off on the left, figured it'd be coming back on, and he had momentum. Tried to cut all the way across the track into an open spot. I don't think the debris mattered.

But either way, I'm glad he's okay. What a testament to the way these cars are made. Any G numbers released yet? I saw it was about 225kph or car speed at impact I think.

Junior Potato
    I agree with FaF. He was darting across to go for a gap but caught the front wheel of Kvyatís car.

Also, from the way the tub was wedged in there, and the fact that after exiting he was inside the guard rail makes me thing he actually crawled out the side of the halo, not the top.

Maybe he could have squeezed between the top of the Halo and the guard rail inside, but I'm not sure. I don't know if you can actually see him getting out on any video or photo.

Junior Potato
    Yeah thatís something Iíve been scratching my head about as well. He HAD to get out the side somehow. I wonder if they designed them with side-extraction in mind. Once you remove the head restraint padding thereís actually quite a lot of space there, but that doesnít add more space between the top of the cockpit and the bottom of the halo.

And do drivers undergo training for extraction the same way the military trains soldiers to survive a helicopter crash?

Someone put a timer on the crash... 28 seconds! <--- Open for video

He climbed out side, behind the armco.

Wow. So after a 53g impact, he climbed and squeezed out from the side of halo in a blazing inferno!?!?!?

I doubt any F1 drivers were trained for that! Goes to show how fast these drivers think and how physically fit they are even if you are only a backmarker!

Lewis Hamilton will probably be able to extract himself out of that situation a few milli-seconds faster?

I was going to post just this about getting out the side of the halo. I don't think anyone has talked about it. Watching the footage and the replays, I am pretty sure this is how Romain got out. I didn't know you could fit through there, especially with a helmet and HANS. That's amazing. And how does he not have a concussion from the impact? Absolutely crazy. You can see the adrenaline coursing through his body as he hoists himself out of the car onto the guardrail. Unbelievable. I also really wonder how his boot came off. Laces got burned through?

Drivers do have extraction tests in all major series. I don't know what the FIA requires of F1 drivers but it sure looks like Romain figured it out in an incredible situation after a crazy hard crash. He must not have been able to see much if anything either.

Just incredible all around.