Thread: Generation Zero

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

Generation Zero

Not sure if its still available for free or not, but was on the Xbone the other day and saw that this game was free to play while i have my Gold subscription. So i downloaded it after seeing a trailer, and actually quite like it.

I'm only playing by myself at the moment, because i don't know of anyone else who has it, nor who'd be going at the slow exploratory pace i do (i explore every building, car etc looking for stuff). But in being solo it makes it a lot harder when suddenly all the robots in the area come rushing towards me. And i have limited ammo. And no-one to revive me if i get killed (you just get respawned again at a safehouse, so you can keep continuing the battle until you defeat them or run out of ammo - damage to them stays how you inflicted it, even weeks later apparently).

It's not got the best score on Metacritic, but once you see past the fact that it's been made (seemingly) with a budget, you can just enjoy it for what it is.

No melee is a little weird, but to be honest hitting a robot using anything with just your strength alone isn't going to harm them much, so in a way there's no need for melee.

Would love to play it with my wife but we only have one Xbox, and my brother has one but doesn't have a Gold subscription. Oh well.
    It's just refreshing to see an online multiplayer game that isn't player vs player, as i honestly hate those types of games.

Fvks sake, so it's not available for me to play anymore, as apparently it was only for the weekend - despite NO notification anywhere that this was the case. Others have fallen for the same trap.

I thought it was obvious that it was one of the free-to-play week-end only promotions that XBL has every once in a while. *shrug*

Not to someone who doesn't normally pay attention to that sort of thing.

Had a couple of Xbox vouchers, so bought the game for free effectively so that i could keep playing. Still really liking it, and it is SO much easier and more fun with other players.

Quite a buggy game, but it's still good fun. Playing it with my brother, and later this week wifey will be joining us too...

Crappy quality ingame screenshots

Lighting effects with torches/flashlights are pretty good, it's more noticeable with more than one player using them. In some places (bunkers mainly) you turn them off and it is pitch black, which is refreshing to see (too many games have at least little lights somewhere)

Small one is about as tall as a bus, big one is about as tall as a two or three storied building. And more advanced versions of the big one can run ridiculously fast (much faster than any mode of transportation available in the game at the moment).

This setup reminds me of a movie, with the yellow jacket wearing?

It's basically a survival game, without having to eat and drink. You, vs. the robots, and they generally are a lot stronger than you. Sometimes you can have battles with every robot type at the same time (they sometimes go around in groups) and those battles last either as long as you have ammo for, or until you defeat them all (think my longest battle is 42 minutes so far, but that was by myself near the start of the game). When you defeat big robots you do get a sense of accomplishment.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; September 8th, 2019 at 11:07 PM.

What is the overall purpose of the game? Appears to be Battle Royal style with you/you and friends versus AI.

Now that's a good question. But yes, you can single player the whole thing, or invite up to three friends, or play online with three randoms.

There is somewhat of a storyline there, i think, but basically you just do missions. To try find where every other person disappeared to, or what they were doing before it happened. Side missions etc to find supply stockpiles/safe houses/bunkers etc.

It's not for everyone, people who didn't like Mad Max because it was 'too empty' will not like this game, because it's similar (personally i really love the Mad Max game). Basically you have to keep looting samey looking buildings in order to keep fighting the robots to keep progressing through the game. You can avoid them a lot of the time, but sometimes they gather around areas with lots of loot or storyline missions, so you have to go into battle.

One of the blurbs for it i've seen explains it a little better:

Overview
    Explore a vast open world, rendered with the award-winning Apex engine, featuring a full day/night cycle with unpredictable weather, complex AI behaviour, simulated ballistics, highly realistic acoustics, and a dynamic 1980’s soundtrack.

Experience an explosive game of cat and mouse set in a huge open world. In this reimagining of 1980’s Sweden, hostile machines have invaded the serene countryside, and you need to fight back while unraveling the mystery of what is really going on. By utilising battle tested guerrilla tactics, you’ll be able to lure, cripple, or destroy enemies in intense, creative sandbox skirmishes.

But yeah. I personally find it a little refreshing that there's not much to do in a LARGE open world, probably why i liked Mad Max so much.

You still have other things you can do, like find heaps of collectables (five or six different types), discover new locations and .... yeah.

Couple more shots (which look way better than this on my TV).

Snowing in a snowy forest

Snowing at a house (the snow actually settles on the ground/buildings/trees etc over time, this was all green etc earlier)

A tank, the biggest, strongest and most deadly enemy in the game. So far....

Snowy little town, called Boo (actually)

Us having fun with fireworks (used to confuse robots) and smoke grenades/bombs

My brother being creepy, with his Saw-esque type look, riding a bike through a bunker (bunkers can be really huge)
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; September 11th, 2019 at 07:24 PM.