Any experiences? Stories to tell? Things to look out for? It wouldn't surprise me if we have former installers in the house.

I'm thinking about having my Ridgeline windows tinted. I should probably just get on with it, but I always try to consider what could go wrong when hiring anyone to do anything.

I had a Mitsubishi pickup tinted back in '92 and kept it seven years. By the time I was ready to sell it, the tint was faded, purple, bubbly, and peeling off on the sliding rear window. I remember spending a weekend scraping it off and don't want to have to do that again, ever. Local tint shop websites boast of how great everything is these days, but of course they're trying to sell it.

There's a shop near me that's pretty well recommended and has been at the same location for eight years, according to their website. I figure I'll go there if I do this. My Dad had them tint two cars while he and Mom lived out here and his current car still looks very good. But, it's a 2016 model, I think, and always garaged, so that doesn't say much about long term durability.

Any thoughts on tinting the upper part of the windshield? Mine has raised black dots to help block the sun above the rearview mirror where the visors don't reach and I've read that tint doesn't stick well there. But, I've also read "it was no problem for me". It's hard to know who to believe.

I also think having that sharp black line of aftermarket tint on the top of the windshield tends to make the car look "more tinted", if that makes sense. It seems to call attention to the fact that the car has aftermarket tint, whereas a lot of SUVs and crew-cab pickups these days already have dark windows in the back from the factory, so not having any on the windshield might not draw a police officer's eye as quickly. And yet, the shop I called says if I get all my windows done (not just the front two to match the factory-tinted rear), he'll install a strip on the windshield for no additional cost. Okay, great, but what if it bubbles and peels around those dots in six months?

Finally, are there concerns about temperature extreme temperatures causing tint to crack or peel? Like maybe twenty below zero in the parking lot of a ski area at 11,000 feet in the morning before the sun gets high enough to shine down into the valley of the parking lot? I'm sure the guy selling window tint will say no, but that's why I'm asking here.