Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What to look for when looking for a 350Z?

That's exactly what happened with the Z4. I was looking at $5k beaters and ended up getting the top of the line non-M for that generation. Go figure.

Meanwhile, I look for the cheapest decent option, and end up buying that!

Impulse control master!!!!

15ish years ago, I got wind of a Nismo 270R for sale in Japan.
    Price was very good, asked the car dealer involved to inquire about it, the price near doubled after that.
    Think it was NZ$ 16k initially, bargain for one of them. But unfortunately, it wasn't to be and I stuck with my normal S14, which would have been faster and better sorted , but not a genuine Nismo though.

Mmmm, Nismo. 270R is a legend, I'd definitely have made enquiries too. My experience buying a car in Japan was that the 'screen price' usually moved upwards a lot when you actually buy the car, due to shaken, taxes etc - although that was on my cheap S13, the extras shouldn't be 100% of a more valuable car, so I guess perhaps the dealer realised what he had when a Kiwi started asking about exporting it ?

Tyre fitment was aborted previously due to blackcircles sending three 18" MPS4s and one 17" Michelin Primacy. I wonder if some GT86 or Prius driver somewhere got sent a single MPS4 ?? Anyway finally got them on today plus alignment doing - the bolts all came undone, which is always a good start, and all aligned to factory settings now.

For the stereo I'm leaning towards https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LY8222N/ Sony XAV-AX100 because it's cheap at £230, a known brand, reviews well, and seems to cover what's needed; but I'm still open to other suggestions.

One thing is, I'd ideally like to mount it where the cubbyhole is at the top of the centre console, rather than in the stereo slot, so I can better see the navigation directions - anyone know about this? Also, the required 'handbrake cable' presumably should not actually be connected to the handbrake, right ? ;-)

PS Also got a recommendation for a local body shop at the tyre place, so now have somewhere to go to address the aforementioned dent in the front wing.

I'm not aware of any kits that move the stereo up to the cubby hole. That's not to say there isn't one. Factory nav cars got the screen up there but retained the stereo controls down below. IIRC from having my dash apart many moons ago, I don't recall there being a lot of depth up there to where a standard double-DIN unit would be able to fit without sitting proud. But I hear some of the newer memory-based HUs (no CD drive) are shallower, so I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    For the stereo I'm leaning towards https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LY8222N/ Sony XAV-AX100 because it's cheap at £230, a known brand, reviews well, and seems to cover what's needed; but I'm still open to other suggestions.
    I have this exact head unit in my tow vehicle (Ford E350) and it's really great. I use it with Android Auto almost exclusively. It does everything so well I only have two minor nitpicks:
    -The volume button is pretty small and close to the side of the unit, so if your installation is recessed at all it can be fussy to work.
    -If you don't press directly on the screen just right sometimes it will scroll instead of press what you're trying to select. I notice it most when driving and trying to change podcasts.

Other than that it's a great unit and I'd buy another if I had use for it. Ash got it for me as a birthday gift.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I have this exact head unit in my tow vehicle (Ford E350) and it's really great. ...
    Thanks so much, sounds like just the job for me