Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Thinking about making a bet against the stock market

The thing is you don't know whether if that 1 share is going to move it up or down. Might as well just buy lotto. Risk is so small and the lightening strike payoff is much bigger!

BTW, Federal Reserve suffered a massive disruption to it's payment services today. Yes, the heart of our economic engine essentially had a cardiac arrest for few hours today. Is it because it ate too many greasy burgers? Inherited this heart problems thru its genes? Covid19 infection?

My guess is that it was hacked. US is just not very good at cyber security.

Makes me want to invest in some crypto-currencies or gold...

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Well stocks are priced mark-to-market...so small incremental share purchases can move the price. Even one share.
    Ignore the mark-to-market part, that's just me trying to sound smart talking gibberish. I remember the guy who taught me how to trade many years ago was making a point about how one share can move the price if there's no other volume around. In the same conversation he was talking about the value of a company being mark-to-market. It's not related to Dockonomics.

In my vague and hazy memory I mishmashed them both.

I don’t disagree with your gibberish. It’s just that I think the main issue with short term investing is that it’s hard to how if this perceived market value is based more on irrational investors or the company’s actual fundamentals. It’s difficult to know which is driving the market more at a single moment. However, it’ll usually work itself out in the long term.

For these hard hit retailers during the pandemic, we know they are in bad shape. If you truly believe a particular company should survive later, then put your money where you faith is and grab some stocks at bargain prices now.

My rule of thumb is that if you can’t afford to let this amount of money park there for the next 10 years or so, then don’t buy this company’s stock. Or maybe don’t buy that much. Think longterm.

If you really have the urge to make bets, lotto and Vegas are better options! At least Vegas gives you free drinks!

Interesting read...

About how a guy turned $200mil of his own money into $20 billion in less than 10 yrs and then lost it all in 2 days.

https://amp.scmp.com/magazines/post-...g-was-greatest

He is just one guy!

Leveraged and Bubbled up the stock market without actually purchasing any stocks! So nobody really know about him until his house of card crumbled and left behind unbelievable destruction in its wake...

Hedge funds really need to go or be better regulated or something.

The guy is supposedly a devout Christian too! Gave a lot to Christian caused..., and believes God is with him...

If so, I wonder what happened...

I really can’t believe God likes this kind of ‘investing’. If God is okay with these hedge funds, surely God would bless him with trillions more so that he could donate more to worthy causes rather than leaving a wave of destruction behind him...

Anyway, he, along with bunch of his colleagues are why our stock market is doing so well I guess. If more of his colleagues end up like him, then I guess that’s when we’ll have a big market crash.

Crazy story!

BTW I’ve started trading again. Forex and options. Struggling a bit with Forex but options are doing okay. I’m in a paid subscription service for trading signals, and it’s working out so far.

Learning more about “smart money” concepts in the Forex market. Trying to identify the footprints of large institutions and the so-called “Composite Man”, and how they target liquidity and imbalance/inefficiency areas in the market, and move the price there. It’s interesting stuff. I understand a lot of it, but haven’t gotten a firm enough grasp to make money from it yet. I will say it’s completely opposite of what you would learn at the retail level. That’s why retail traders are referred to as “dumb money”, of which I’m a chartered member. We used to be called paper, but now dumb money.

I foresee myself turning the corner in the next little while and becoming profitable.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Crypto...wow, it's amazing how much things change in the market based SOLELY on Elon Musk tweeting things, or showing up on SNL.

It's obvious that the crypto market has a lot of new users which panic when things happen and they're not prepared to hold long-term for these relatively small dips in the market.

HOOODDDLLLLL

Looks like Melvin Capital is done.

They were the prominent hedge fund that took the brunt of the ferocious short squeeze on GameStop last year.

Dumb money always loses. Even dumb smart money.

It’s amazing that investors entrust you with billions of dollars and because you don’t know how to grow that money sufficiently, you decide to close shop and return their investments, most likely with huge losses. How pathetic can they be?