Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Thinking about making a bet against the stock market

The thing is you don't know whether if that 1 share is going to move it up or down. Might as well just buy lotto. Risk is so small and the lightening strike payoff is much bigger!

BTW, Federal Reserve suffered a massive disruption to it's payment services today. Yes, the heart of our economic engine essentially had a cardiac arrest for few hours today. Is it because it ate too many greasy burgers? Inherited this heart problems thru its genes? Covid19 infection?

My guess is that it was hacked. US is just not very good at cyber security.

Makes me want to invest in some crypto-currencies or gold...

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Well stocks are priced mark-to-market...so small incremental share purchases can move the price. Even one share.
    Ignore the mark-to-market part, that's just me trying to sound smart talking gibberish. I remember the guy who taught me how to trade many years ago was making a point about how one share can move the price if there's no other volume around. In the same conversation he was talking about the value of a company being mark-to-market. It's not related to Dockonomics.

In my vague and hazy memory I mishmashed them both.

I donít disagree with your gibberish. Itís just that I think the main issue with short term investing is that itís hard to how if this perceived market value is based more on irrational investors or the companyís actual fundamentals. Itís difficult to know which is driving the market more at a single moment. However, itíll usually work itself out in the long term.

For these hard hit retailers during the pandemic, we know they are in bad shape. If you truly believe a particular company should survive later, then put your money where you faith is and grab some stocks at bargain prices now.

My rule of thumb is that if you canít afford to let this amount of money park there for the next 10 years or so, then donít buy this companyís stock. Or maybe donít buy that much. Think longterm.

If you really have the urge to make bets, lotto and Vegas are better options! At least Vegas gives you free drinks!