Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about making a bet against the stock market

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Yeah right. Not exactly the happiest way to acquire something, (depending on your relationship with your parents, of course).
    They weren't my parents, but I'd still rather have them around than the house. For a myriad of reasons.

An update on this... I realized that the fund that I initially invested in (that does the opposite of what the market does) is not really designed to be held for longer than one day. The way it accomplishes this black magic also causes it to do weird stuff overnight that can frequently result in you losing money. So I didn't invest in that.

However, several weeks ago I put a bunch of money into a fund that also goes up when the broader market goes down. More specifically, it holds options that get more valuable when the 2/10 year Treasury yield spread goes up, which tends to happen when a recession starts. The fund did pretty well this past week with the craziness that happened in the market, and right now it's up about 1% from where I bought it.

But, now there is a very real part of me that's rooting for the Coronavirus situation to get worse. Not because I want people to get sick and die, but because the more people that do, the more money I'll make.

I think this investment is eating my soul.

Jesus was very clear, it’d be very hard for rich people to end up in heaven. If you want money, soul be damned! If you want soul, money be damned!

But of course there can always be exceptions for some who could have cake and eat it too.

Everyone please continue being adequately fearful and apprehensive. My investment portfolio is doing fantastically.

Stupid novice question -
    What do you guys use to move money into investments? Do you use a phone app? A website? Call a guy? Any safe recommendations for someone who wants to poke around and learn?

I just use E-trade.

You probably should just talk to somebody from whatever known financial institutions for some free advice or do some research on your own. Investing really isn't all that hard... it's also particularly easy to lose money!

BTW, you probably should try to scan thru the richness thread: http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?1988-Richness

This particular thread is SLM's personal plot to tank the market, personally I'd rather bet on market rising than tanking!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 9th, 2020 at 09:40 AM.

I just put my cash in the inter-office pneumatic tube and shoot it up to the investment department on the 19th floor.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    IMO this is a great time to watch the market and the virus...see when things start to look like they're bottoming out and then going up....if only I had extra cash

Agreed, but how do you know when it's bottomed out? This crash seems more justified than '87 or the Great Recession. The 1929 crash lead to basically three straight years of losses and Dow took 25 years to set a new high.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    if we all knew that we'd be millionaires soon