Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2020

Wow - what a race!!
    Some people say mixed weather races are a lottery, but I think they are great. Often amazing differences in laptimes and strategy. Do you swap a 2nd time back to slicks on a drying track? Normally the bikes dont have that much strategy, pick your tyres pre-race and thats it. But drying track, different wet tyres and some going off badly with the heat - wow!
    Also the skill set is different, riding in mixed conditions is different from dry and wet. Marquez is usually the master of these and he was clearly the quickest but twice managed to crash. Oph!
    Long lap penalties - I do think they are better, more interesting and fairer that pit lane ride thru. Jack actually got a double and still won.
    Interesting to see Quartararo penalty, the new system of bike swap has set positions and he pulled up in his teammates spot. He did run around and jump on the correct bike, but was rightly pinged for not stopping in his spot. While it had no affect on the race, it easily could have affected his teammate if they were closer. Seems teams might need to practice swaps a bit more.

And well done Jack. 4 year wait then two in a row.

Yeah I was loving that race. I feel bad for Marquez…that could have been his “I’m back” moment but it will have to wait.

I don’t think any of them expected to have to run so many dry laps in the hot sun on those wet tires. Those things turn to mush, and then with only 5-7 laps to go it’s just not worth the risk of switching bikes again.

Good for Miller. I’m rooting for him. Too bad he made some mistakes in the first few races or he’d be in the lead points.

Bikes again tonight...
    qualifying was odd, Rossi straight into top 10, but Miller had to do Q1. He got thru then set the 2nd fastest time, just a few hundredths off pole. Then crashed! He hadnt been near the top of the times in the FP, effectively went from 11th to 2nd.
    Yamaha look very strong, Quartararo looks unbeatable!

Race is a bit earlier than usual, with Moto2 after MotoGP. Means a nice 9pm here (instead of 10 or 11). Good when I have an early start and big day on Monday. Although I might just watch Moto2 as well.

Junior Potato
    Quartararo given additional three second penalty for incident involving leathers. He really should have been black flagged on the very same lap that the open zip became apparent.

Here’s a link so you know what I’m talking about.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/2021-motog...8Tevq-mogtEXFE

Yeah, that was so odd. I couldn't believe he just continued (and was allowed).

In the end I think a 3sec penalty isn't enough. If it happens to someone, they'll think, I can stop and fix it and lose 15-20 seconds, or I can take the 3 sec. penalty. Should have been a black flag immediately, and in the absence of that, should have been 30 sec. penalty.

Also, I didn't get his 3 sec. penalty for the short cut. After going deep, didn't he follow the long lap route? Isn't that enough.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

I think because he went wide but cut across a runoff area.

The leather issue has probably never cropped up before that I know of. But it’s akin to running with a boot or glove off. Black flag immediately as far as I’m concerned.

1 more lap and that race would have gotten really juicy

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Also, I didn't get his 3 sec. penalty for the short cut. After going deep, didn't he follow the long lap route? Isn't that enough.
    It was a chicane, he ran very wide on he first left, then went completely off track to cut the right hander.
    He lost a place when he ran wide, but certainly gained a big advantage over Miller by cutting the corner to stay just ahead of him.

I was surprised by Marquez, he has looked good for a few laps but hasnt been consistent either with pace or staying on the bike.
    I guess a track where he has won the last 10 times was always going to be good to him, that and it being an easier direction on his arm.
    But still - wow, impressive.
    Now lets see if this turns into more podiums and wins - can he claw his way back into the championship?

Sachsenring, featuring Marc Márquez as Himself.

That Dutch track is tricky as fuck.