Thread: FTP/SMB, WTF? smh!!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

FTP/SMB, WTF? smh!!

I've been testing to see if just plugging an external flash/solidstate USB storage unit to the modem would be enough for us to share docs (pdfs and jpegs mostly and some music) at home. You know, instead of forking out bigger bucks for a NAS unit b/c we really don't need to access it from outside.

So I succeeded in that I can see the test USB stick from the web browser, but I can't access it from the file explorer. what the hell am i doing wrong?

edit: modem is an Alcatel I-240W
    Last edited by FaultyMario; November 22nd, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
    acket.

Oh, I'm on fucking windows fucking ten.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I’ve tried this with my rooter. I got it working for one week, but then it magically stopped working.

I seem to remember needing to have the USB storage formatted to the correct file system (because it wouldn’t handle anything different, and it happens to be different to the file system that the PS4 uses) as well as all of the settings on the modem set just right for it to work.

It’s very much an unfriendly experience.

On top of that I’m pretty sure your Win10 home sharing settings have to be correctly set to be able to see it in explorer. If you can access via the browser then the modem side of things may be alright, so it might be your home sharing via Win10 that you have to address.

I'm pretty sure the win10 folder share settings are all wrong.
    acket.

So, I was able to migrate [C:] from my old mechanical drive to my not so old SSD. The feeling I now have is that, computers die (knock on wood) but as long as your data is saved on a good device, it's going to be safe. So my plan now is to get a 1TB SSD and stick it in my machine, and put all the photos and documents there and share that drive with her, from my machine. So no need for NAS. Does that sound sensible?
    acket.