Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Endurance Season 2020 and Beyond

Meh, I don't care much about the regs as far as the cars are concerned as much as I care about the fact that we will be seeing the same cars/teams compete at Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans. They can race in MGBs or Spaceships for all I care.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Well, in spite of Matt's and Nate's best efforts, I still don't understand how the different new classes are different between them and to the old classes.
    acket.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    The Hypercar is dimensionally bigger in length, width, and height. The rear fin is much lower and stops short of the rear wing with the roof intake now sitting well above the fin. The rear wing itself is narrower in width. The sidepods are much more sculpted and the floor is no longer straight along the side. It is definitely not as square-shaped overall as the TS050.

The engine is now a twin-turbo V6 with a single hybrid system on the front axle, meaning no more restarts on full electric power.
    Power is also down, they predict Le Mans lap times will be 10 seconds slower. The Toyota runs the internal combustion engine at lower power while the hybrid system is engaging because the cars are limited to a maximum total output.

Last edited by The359; January 14th, 2021 at 08:17 PM.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Call me crazy
    Call me crazy, because apparently they will be making road car versions of these.

If it comes true, it is the maddest thing ever and I love it.

The brand name "hypercar" does conjure visions of a souped-up GT machine.

I was a bit disappointed that it looked like a prototype and not like, say, a gt40.
    acket.

I believe the intent was always to have GT Prototypes akin to the Toyota GT-One, but the manufacturers could never agree on the direction of the rules. Toyota wanted more of a prototype, Aston Martin wanted more of a homologation special, and the other manufacturers took sides. Even Glickenhaus has gone from what would have been a homologation special to more of a prototype as their SCG 007 has evolved. And given how many manufacturers have signed up for LMDh, don't expect any supercars to appear in the future. Peugeot's LMH will be just a Toyota clone.

Junior Potato
    The LMDH rules make so much more sense than the LMH rules.

They’ve been continually trying to recall a time where the Le Mans winning car could’ve been bought from a dealership, and that hasn’t happened for over 50 years. Maybe even 70 years. Save the road car stuff for the GTE category.

I don't think it's wanting to use cars from a dealership, it's that manufacturers want to say they built the car, instead of using a spec chassis and simply adapting styling to it. Toyota wants a Toyota, not an Oreca that has like Toyota headlamps. Same with Aston Martin.

Junior Potato
    Nah I mean that the ACO is angling for this aspect. I think they should just let teams and manufacturers develop pure racing cars.

I think Matt should start the new season thread. Or erase the 2020 from the header.
    acket.