Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Endurance Season 2020

"Lamborghini to become sixth LMDh manufacturer"

https://racer.com/2021/08/04/lamborg...-manufacturer/
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    I dropped a little cummie into my pants when I watched this video.

ACO and FIA confirming a switch from GTE to a GT3-based platform for their GT cars in 2024

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ula-from-2024/

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Where's Matt?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    ACO and FIA confirming a switch from GTE to a GT3-based platform for their GT cars in 2024

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ula-from-2024/
    Finally.

Junior Potato
    I will lament the demise of GTE. They are faster and more dynamically engaging than GT3, and require more from the driver to get the best out of them.

I hope a new “GT3-based” category compels manufacturers to make the cars similarly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I will lament the demise of GTE. They are faster and more dynamically engaging than GT3, and require more from the driver to get the best out of them.

I hope a new “GT3-based” category compels manufacturers to make the cars similarly interesting.
    That's my hope as well, but I don't know enough about the differences. I know they need to be able to be maintained by customers, designed to be used with traction control and ABS (and therefore unwieldy without them), and are, in general, less efficient aerodynamically, but I don't know what's intrinsic to the format and what can be "fixed".
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    I may be wrong but from what I understand, GT3 cars need to be based on a production body shell, gearbox and engine with minimal changes, but most of the bits that attach to that (suspension, aero, brakes, etc) have quite a bit of freedom. They’re allowed full driver aids, with a view to them being friendly to drive to allow gentlemen drivers to be competitive. They would have developed the category using cars such as the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and Ferrari F430 Challenge as the baseline.

GTEs on the other hand are almost bespoke racing cars. The body profile can be adjusted for aero efficiency and engine locations changed: mostly for weight distribution such as moving the engine rearward in the C7 Vette but famously the 911 RSR went mid-engine which helped with both weight and underbody aero. In terms of performance comparison they are about 1 sec faster per km. ABS is banned but they do have TC.

GT3 was designed to be an entry tier below the old FIA GT1 and GT2 categories, and those two eventually morphed into GTE. I really do think they still need a class above GT3 to differentiate from that category. Maybe not as fast as GTE, but make them similarly challenging to get the most out of: less weight, more power, more aerodynamic freedom, no driver aids, and allow teams to easily convert between categories by swapping out the relevant parts. Maybe even allow more advanced race engines too?

It looks like the ACO wants LMP2 to phase out too. It would be great if that meant more teams chose to fill the Hypercar class, manufacturer availability pending, but to me a simplified two-class structure is less interesting than what we’ve had with 3-4 classes. They want to attract the big manufacturers and LMP2 was off limits for them, but LMP2 has had the strongest prototype grids for ages.

If they're gonna stick with GT Pro and AM classes, maybe they can do away with ABS in Pro, and give them stickier tires or something.

Maybe we need a new GT2 class? (I know there kinda is one already, but like does anyone know anything about it?) It would be a nice place for manufacturers to land, given they won't be in GT3.

Both classes based on the same chassis, but with modular add-ons for the added speed. Things like higher output engines (more boost, smaller restricorts, etc). Bigger wings, splitters, diffusers, weight differences, aids differences, etc. That way the manufacturers can mostly create the same car for GT3 and GT2 teams, limiting expenses?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)