Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Endurance Season 2020 and Beyond

Junior Potato
    Thanks for posting those videos Keef, they were excellent.

Crazy info about the hybrids in this vid:

TLDW: the battery is barely charged from braking (3%-5% per braking event), so most of the charging happens from the engine while they're accelerating. But it doesn't slow down the car: they are limited to putting 670 hp towards accelerating, but are capable of creating more than that. When the battery needs to be charged, the engine produces more than 670 hp and uses the excess to charge the battery.

Also, the system comes with a plug-in charger, but all the teams said they never use it. They only ever charge the batteries with the cars.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    For all of the much vaunted return of Ferrari to sportscar racing, they could have at least doubled the number of cylinders... please!

Is it broken?

Junior Potato
    Yes. There is a noise-sapping turbo between the exhaust and the outside world. And it sounds somewhat like a diesel.

Ferraris should sing... lekky power or not.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I've looked at some pictures from pre-war sports and race cars and I still can't get a sense of proportion. Looking at that 499P next to the Corvette, it looks yuge, and I kind of figured it's a temporary thing, that bigger size is because of the newish propulsion technologies and that race cars will eventually get smaller.

I feel we're again at that point in history when Thoroughbred racers are one or two weight brackets above the Purebreds sports.

I hope that sight and sound get fixed in the next decade.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    ... and I still can't get a sense of proportion.
    Apparently the windscreens trick us - without another reference point we see the windscreen and kind of assume it to be the same size as a road car, then our brains scale the rest of it to make us think they're big.

On second reading, not sure if that's exactly what you're saying, but apparently that's a thing. I always think prototypes are much bigger than they are and it's always a surprise to see them to scale against something else.

On another note, why is it the LMDh entrants all look a bit samey whereas the LMH cars are very distinct?

The LMDh cars are built on similar core structures from approved suppliers, with the manufacturers allowed leeway on the body parts attached to that core structure.

LMH is fully (mostly?) free for the manufacturers to build as they see fit, with the understanding that BoP will reign in anyone that tries to spend their way to dominance. This is what they wanted/agreed to, including the fact that LMH and LMDh will be BoPd against each other.

The manufacturers want strong, committed competitors, so they can spread the cost of advertising/promotion of events, and this is how they figured they could maximize it.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Apparently the windscreens trick us - without another reference point we see the windscreen and kind of assume it to be the same size as a road car, then our brains scale the rest of it to make us think they're big.

On second reading, not sure if that's exactly what you're saying, but apparently that's a thing. I always think prototypes are much bigger than they are and it's always a surprise to see them to scale against something else.
    You're partly right, I think the other part is all that black paint used mainly on the back of the cars. And for that I blame the teams' publicists trying to highlight their bigger sponsors.
    acket.

I'm extra interested in the SRO America schedule this year!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn5qMnfrOUl/

Here's the GT4 America calendar: https://www.gt4-america.com/calendar

Sonoma Raceway
    30 March 2023 - 2 April 2023

NOLA Motorsports Park
    28 - 30 April 2023

Circuit of The Americas
    19 - 21 May 2023

VIRginia International Raceway
    16 - 18 June 2023

Road America
    18 - 20 August 2023