Page 258 of 433 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Just saw a text message from my sister that those in high risk neighborhoods, aged 18+, will be eligible for the vaccine as of TOMORROW! I checked the list and my postal code is one of them. There are three adults in our house so hopefully we can book a (timely) appointment as soon as it's available. My daughter is 13 and we'll try to appeal to them to get her a shot too. Maybe it'll work.

A couple of weeks ago when my dad went for his shot, they were only servicing 75+, and my mom is younger than 75 but they gave it to her too.

This is seriously great news!

Junior Potato
    Good to see that things are looking up

But can we please keep the (good) changes in lifestyle that the pandemic has brought us?

Administrator
    I do like that Santa Monica put out a survey asking if people are in favor of making the emergency use permits that allowed outside dining and stuff permanent. I guess they legally have to, they can't just unilaterally decide to keep an emergency use permit past its set date, but man, I'd love to see that change stick around after we're all out of this.

Junior Potato
    Yeah that kinda stuff would be awesome. I just don't want everyone going back to being little more than robots for the oligarchy. Having it shaken up so much as it was 12 months ago was the silver lining in the cloud for me, seeing people on big government handouts and enjoying their time off made me happy, even though I could not get it myself. Absolutely no envy about that here. Plus WFH arrangements that I hope all employers keep.

We all know it can be done. As they say about returning our welfare back to much lower pre-COVID levels and throwing all the poor people under the bus again: poverty is a political choice, and the economy thrived on all the extra cashflow. If our corporate-aligned conservative governments really want to help businesses, then they would keep the dole high.

Administrator
    Ahh, I get what you're saying.

I have very little hope of any of that here, other than we might see more WFH arrangements. That said, I know a lot of people who moved during this because they were remote anyway. Companies are saying that people can WFH as long as they want, but I bet any time a company starts doing layoffs, people who moved will be pretty high up on the chopping block.

^ Yup. Fortune favors those who physically present and, to go off on a tangent, also those who stay late. I'm never the first to arrive (at least pre-pandemic) but often one of the last to leave at office jobs and I've noticed upper management tends to do the same. I guess that can backfire if they're looking for someone to dump an unpleasant task on at 5:30 PM, but I know the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. If you're there, you become known and trusted. If not, you're just another name on a list.

I worked at once place for six years where we had to clock in on our computers when we arrived and left. There were a couple people who got there before 6:30 AM every morning and would sit there watching the clock so they could punch in at exactly 6:30 AM and never a minute later. Later in the day, they would practically knock you down if you stood between them and the door at 3:00 PM.

Those aren't the people who get promoted.

Or, at least, that's how it used to work. After this is all over, who knows?

He'll have plenty of time to think about his choices. I'm black, so my position on mandatory minimums is pretty easy to intuit.
    This fucker, fuck him. Toss him in there for all 10 years. It's been a year already and i'm done; I have very little patience for covid deniers (i place wearing a mask incorrectly firmly in the covid denial category.)

Okay, back to the lab leak theory...

If lab leak were true, this won’t just be the fault of the Chinese, but also US.

Will scientific community really be able to discover the real truth? Or will the 'scientific community' become as corrupt as the Chinese and US governments and obscure the truth...

Anyway, I’d really like to know what coronavirus researchers are doing in their labs, wherever they are...

It’s kinda obvious that they were just studying them to see what these little spiky balls can do rather than trying to figure out how to prevent pandemics...

Look, I’m not against the Chinese nor am I against Americans. I’d just like to know the real truth and fix our corrupt governments if possible.

If this pandemic was caused by Mother Nature, hope scientists can prove that too. It’ll suck if this remains a mystery.

And if you believe that if I believe that the lab leak was even possible, then I must be stupid and a racist? Right. So be it I guess.

At least if these labs cannot demonstrate why we need them, we really need to just shut them down.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 8th, 2021 at 12:41 PM.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    He'll have plenty of time to think about his choices. I'm black, so my position on mandatory minimums is pretty easy to intuit.
    This fucker, fuck him. Toss him in there for all 10 years. It's been a year already and i'm done; I have very little patience for covid deniers (i place wearing a mask incorrectly firmly in the covid denial category.)
    Mandatory minimums are a fucked idea.

However, this guy is not being gaoled for incorrect mask wearing, it’s assault, AND the article says he will be eligible for a parole hearing in a year.

Still, fuck him.

Junior Potato
    On the topic of masks, we are halfway through our mandatory mask exercise. I don’t go out much due to my injury, but the few times I have I’ve noticed a handful of people not wearing them.

I do judge them in my head, quite harshly. But also, there may be a legitimate reason why they aren’t wearing one, and I’m not a cop, so it’s not my place to go around demanding that people don masks or properly pull them up over their noses.

There would be nothing worse than confronting someone about a mask and it turns out they have some disability, even though the chances would be small. Or worse: getting your eye poked out.