Page 286 of 433 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Hang in there Jason.

Junior Potato
    And a side note: at first I thought it wasn't that remarkable that people were feeling like they had the flu when getting their shots. After all, it's a normal part of getting vaccinated, and you ARE being injected with nasty spike proteins that your body is fighting to destroy.

But... just like COVID itself, it's not like the normal flu, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    For any COVID or vaccine nay-sayers, you can tell them; imagine this, but for weeks, and 10x worse, and in your lungs, and then you die.
    Yeah this is nothing compared to how I felt in November (suspected exposure), this is more entertaining than anything, even if it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Even if Indias death toll is 750k, thats still way less as a percentage of the population than say USA, UK, Brazil and much of Europe.
    Hungary is the first country to hit 3 deaths per 1,000.
    If India had the same rate it would have over 4 million dead.
    So yeah Indias numbers are big, but thats because its got 1.4 billion people (ie more than the 5 next most populous countries combined - USA, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, Nigeria). Note that USA + Brazil is over 1 million covid deaths.

Its not good there, but its really only playing catchup on where other parts of the world was 6 months ago.
    Just hope that its peaked and not still growing.
    What I'm interested to know is why is India playing 'catch up'? Did they shut their borders for a long time and did a great job wearing masks and social distancing and contact tracing at 1st? And then relaxed and became complacent?

Or is this current wave mostly due the mutant variant?

My guess is more of the later.

Also, if LA is like a smaller scale of the world, perhaps it can shed some light... during the start of the pandemic, confirmed cases were mostly in rich white cities. Poorer brown cities appear to have no cases. Then eventually the numbers reversed. Rich white numbers come down and then the poorer browner cities increase in number. I'm sure it's not because this virus is racist and didn't like poorer brown people at 1st. The lag is mostly due to poorer cities have less testing and paid less attention to their sick until it goes out of control.

I suspect that's what happened.

The problem now is..., how do you know how many are really sick or dead in India? Are they really still playing 'catch up' to the rest of the world or perhaps they've lost count? Surely not all, especially the poor, in India understood the dangers of Covid. Many probably thought it's just a flu and took care of one another when people got sick... You know India's healthcare system can't possibly hospitalize them all nor do they have enough quarantine hotels...

I just hope that should one day enough vaccines become available for Indians, percentage of anti-vaxxers in india would be small? Likewise for Brazil. Rich countries won't be able to help if you refuse help. USA is a rich nation full of people who still refuse help. I guess we're lucky that so far we haven't discover any Trump-variants yet.

My wife’s uncle is finally out of the hospital in India. He was in there for over two weeks, and at one point it was looking grim. Not sure if my in-laws here have spoken with him yet. I’m sure he has quite the story to tell. Everyone else I know in India who was infected has recovered as well.

That’s great to hear. So perhaps mortality rate isn’t that bad? Maybe India will reach herd immunity naturally? Not sure if India can really count on the rich country to provide sufficient vaccines… although Biden admin showed willingness to waive patents for vaccines, now Germany is refusing to go along… sigh…

A sign where I got my shot this morning:

My grocery store has been allowing walk ins for a few weeks now

Administrator
    Ralph's (what they call Kroger here in SoCal) also just said that all their stores are now doing walk-in vaccinations.

I've been to Ralph's a few times. The first was in the 1990s. I lived in the Bible Belt then and was amazed to see hard liquor for sale in a grocery store. And it wasn't in the back of the store on aisle 37; it was right inside the front door, next to the produce department. I stick to beer, so it didn't really matter to me, but it was surprising to this barefoot hillbilly on his first trip west of the Mississippi.

And that reminds me of being on vacation in Vegas and asking a beer store clerk on Saturday if they were open the next day. He just laughed, but I have lived two states where alcohol sales were prohibited on Sundays, so I thought it was a fair question at the time.

Anyway, it's great that we've gotten to this point with vaccines. It took me about a month to find available appointments and now people can just walk in and roll up their sleeve.

Our kids should be getting shots soon, also. We got an email from the school just today with links to make appointments.

Perhaps if we're cranking out vaccines like bombers during WWII, maybe we can ship some to India and other places where they're badly needed.