Page 372 of 433 FirstFirst ... 272322362370371372373374382422 ... LastLast
Results 3,711 to 3,720 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

I’m on a waiting list for the booster. My parents and one sister got it.

From what I’ve heard and read about Omicron, it leads to symptoms that are considerably less severe than previous variants. It just spreads faster, that’s it. I saw a clip showing a UK lab analyzing Omicron samples, and they showed how it doesn’t multiply or attack the cells in the same malicious manner as Delta. It’s like a squatter. Just hangs around, doesn’t do much damage and eventually gets up and leaves.

So basically this feels like hysteria from the government and media. Here in Ontario we’ve gone back to restrictions. Capacity limits, etc. But are they really necessary for people who are vaccinated? Seems like all this shit is being done to accommodate the anti-vaxxers. I say if they’re too stupid to recognize the obvious benefits of getting the shot then let them get infected and die. Why fuck over the rest of us?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The problem with omicron is the people who don't want to get jabbed.
    acket.

Administrator
    I'm seeing conflicting reports. The main takeaway I've gotten is that so far signs have shown that Omicron isn't as bad for people who have some sort of immunity (vaccination, prior infection, or if you're really lucky, both), but none of the studies have been comprehensive enough that we should rely on it.

Prematurely thinking it's fine because it seems like it's less dangerous strikes me as a lot of the way we were looking at things right up until the shit hit the fan in March of 2020. Our state has put in a one month indoor mask mandate (basically mask on unless you're seated at a table at a restaurant), which seems like a reasonable precaution until we know more. The timing does suck though, I wish I wasn't nervous to visit my folks. They're older and more vulnerable, though at least all of us are vaxxed and boosted.

We still need to be careful and just wait and see…

If hospitals are not overwhelmed in a month or 2, then maybe we will be home free…

A science conference Lori used to attend regularly turned into a super-spreader event this year. Even smart, educated people that should know better will put desires and convenience above safety.

Administrator
    Oof. Sundays are traditionally light days for the count, as they're Saturday numbers and a lot of clinics take the weekends off. Still had 3,500 today. Shit has massively hit the fan.

Junior Potato
    As I've said multiple times, anti-vaxxers are one thing, but the unable-to-be-vaxxed are the ones we need to protect. Protection of anti-vaxxers is merely a side-effect.

I fully support a return to masks despite having a high rate of vaccinated population. Overall Australia has surpassed 80% fully vaccinated, but indigenous people remain at a horrifically low 50%. THOSE are people we need to protect. I am sure that the USA has a significant population of minority or marginalised people who face the same issues as Australian aboriginals do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Our state has put in a one month indoor mask mandate (basically mask on unless you're seated at a table at a restaurant), which seems like a reasonable precaution until we know more.
    Lucky you - All the local municipalities around me have ended their mask mandates recently.
    On friday night we ordered a pizza from a local place we like, and when my wife went in to pick it up, she said she was the only person in there wearing a mask and perceived some judgemental looks, so that's great and certainly something that I've heard the last of.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    It's hard to tell right now how much of this is after effects of Thanksgiving, how much of it is omicron, and how much of it is the mask mandate for the county that's been in place since mid July not working. It's absolutely skyrocketing right now. That last bar on the right is a lower-than-normal count, and it's right up there with the two previous days that don't have the reporting lag.

eegads.jpg

I thought I read somewhere saying that based on waste water testing, omicron should be already pretty wide spread in LA. We’ve always lagged behind with testing, plus, lots of omicron cases probably they just had a cold and never bother tested themselves?

As omicron dominates the entire world, if symptoms remain mild and won’t overload our healthcare systems…, thatd be our best case scenario.