Page 288 of 433 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Looks like there's still a lot of communication work to be done - Many Unvaccinated Latinos in the US Want The Shot [but] Issues of access and fears of employment and immigration consequences have kept their Covid vaccination rates low: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/h...-hispanic.html
    I remember voicing this concern some twenty pages ago.

Administrator
    Yep, I remember that too. I did notice that NY Times article claims you don't even need a government issued ID, which was not my understanding - when I signed up, that was the one thing I was told they did require.

I have a feeling now that you can saunter into a CVS and get a shot on the spot, though, they're likely not rigorously checking IDs. Still, hard to communicate a message effectively when you can't seem to keep the message consistent.

Yep, I remember that too. I did notice that NY Times article claims you don't even need a government issued ID, which was not my understanding - when I signed up, that was the one thing I was told they did require.

I have a feeling now that you can saunter into a CVS and get a shot on the spot, though, they're likely not rigorously checking IDs. Still, hard to communicate a message effectively when you can't seem to keep the message consistent.
    And it remains to be seen how quickly that message will be disseminated throughout the community without papers.

Require a vaccine passport to vote

Administrator
    I keep wondering about how much we need to verify vaccination status. Right now I think we still need to as there just aren't enough vaccinated people, but in a few months, at least in the US?

Was reading an article quoting a few health experts including Fauci and the gist was that in the US due to a combination of vaccination and infection rates, we've hit the "epidemic" stage of the pandemic, and that as this continues, we'll start to hit the "controlled" state. The other main takeaway I got was that there won't be a moment where we declare victory, it'll just be this slow shifting of who's vulnerable and who isn't and how much we have to worry about it.

I figure there will come a point where people like my friend who's allergic to the vaccines will still mask up, and most of us will be vaccinated, and it really will come down to unvaccinated people will keep getting sick and dying and the rest of us will be okay. Similar to how Trump's fascist/populist messaging doesn't work against a virus that doesn't give a shit how much you deny there's a problem - at some point, I think lying about vaccination status will only hurt you, the rest of us will be fine. They're predicting herd immunity here in LA by end of July, at that point I think I'm willing to say "yep, it's your personal choice".

In other news, I was just reading that only 11% of CA appears to be "vaccine hesitant", so we really are still having an issue getting needles into the arms of people who want it. We're just shy of 50% having at least one shot, and about 37% being considered "fully vaccinated". I was a little bit shocked to see that only 41% of my office has submitted proof of vaccination, I'm hoping it's just a matter of people waiting on their second shots or whatever. I know my team have recently been getting theirs, but I can't think of anybody on the team who hasn't at least taken one PPO day to either get the shot or recover from it. My wife and I both got ours before we were technically eligible and she only got her second shot a week ago, so I guess it's not completely crazy.

Speaking of, Jason, how are things with yours?

I keep wondering about how much we need to verify vaccination status. Right now I think we still need to as there just aren't enough vaccinated people, but in a few months, at least in the US?

Was reading an article quoting a few health experts including Fauci and the gist was that in the US due to a combination of vaccination and infection rates, we've hit the "epidemic" stage of the pandemic, and that as this continues, we'll start to hit the "controlled" state. The other main takeaway I got was that there won't be a moment where we declare victory, it'll just be this slow shifting of who's vulnerable and who isn't and how much we have to worry about it.

I figure there will come a point where people like my friend who's allergic to the vaccines will still mask up, and most of us will be vaccinated, and it really will come down to unvaccinated people will keep getting sick and dying and the rest of us will be okay. Similar to how Trump's fascist/populist messaging doesn't work against a virus that doesn't give a shit how much you deny there's a problem - at some point, I think lying about vaccination status will only hurt you, the rest of us will be fine. They're predicting herd immunity here in LA by end of July, at that point I think I'm willing to say "yep, it's your personal choice".

In other news, I was just reading that only 11% of CA appears to be "vaccine hesitant", so we really are still having an issue getting needles into the arms of people who want it. We're just shy of 50% having at least one shot, and about 37% being considered "fully vaccinated". I was a little bit shocked to see that only 41% of my office has submitted proof of vaccination, I'm hoping it's just a matter of people waiting on their second shots or whatever. I know my team have recently been getting theirs, but I can't think of anybody on the team who hasn't at least taken one PPO day to either get the shot or recover from it. My wife and I both got ours before we were technically eligible and she only got her second shot a week ago, so I guess it's not completely crazy.

Speaking of, Jason, how are things with yours?
    Yeah man. I'm keeping my mask on for the indeterminate future.

Administrator
    No judgment here.

Administrator
    Sounds like someone at the Washington Post has been snooping around here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...-honor-system/

There are obviously a lot of trust between fellow Americans…

OTOH, there really are no good solutions. So maybe honor system is probably the best way forward. Give people the benefit of the doubt, but don’t get too complacent and forget about protecting those who still need protection.

Fatigue and pain has mostly gone away, but I have a pressure headache/eye ache thing that’s been persisting. No clue if its related, or if I’m just generally falling apart