Page 273 of 433 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323373 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My wife's boss/friend lost her uncle when one of her cousins went out and socialized, then came home apparently asymptomatic to his dad.

I still can't imagine how you would feel knowing you didn't take it seriously enough and ended up killing one of your parents.
    I'm not sure I would have the capacity in me to forgive that person.

So, India. Let's hope they can get it under control.

Per capita it's not even as scary as the US's third wave, but with their population the numbers are freaking huge.

I think I've mentioned this story before, but one of my colleagues moved here from India early last year and his family were to follow. Since Covid they haven't been able to, of course, and he can't go visit them, so he's lost a year of seeing his two year old son grow up.

Wow! That must’ve sucked bad!

Administrator
    We talked to a lot of folks who worked on the ship when we were on that cruise back in early Feb, 2020. Lots of people from the Philippines and Indonesia, and when they sign on to work it's often for many months at a time. Lots of people away from their families for extended periods. I wonder what happened to a lot of them - I don't know if covid restrictions might mean they couldn't actually return home, and their whole source of income that often their entire family was relying on just evaporated immediately.

Cruise industry was hit very hard. Some were stuck in limbo for a while, unable to get off the ship but also unable to fly home, but all eventually were able to return to their home countries.

Speaking of cruises, they might be back come July... if all onboard are vaccinated(and could be rapidly tested before embarking, I suppose it should be safe?

However, I thought CDCs new guidance for mask is kinda stupid and I’m glad I not alone with my possible over reaction...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ndemic/618739/

Until we officially declare this pandemic is over, there’s really no reason to try to incrementally try to return to normal... just keep the damn masks on whether if you’re vaccinated or not! New guidelines will only allow anti maskers and anti vaxxers to look as if they’ve been vaccinated. If we’re not careful, we could potentially be like India too. Herd immunity is still quite a ways off...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 28th, 2021 at 11:18 PM.

Administrator
    I'm not sure if you read the whole article, but it's calling the outdoor mask policy changes "too timid" and advocating for just changing it across the board to not requiring masks for people outdoors, vaccinated or not.

EDIT: Correction - not across the board, but in any cases where there aren't extended periods of talking, yelling, or singing in a crowd.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; April 29th, 2021 at 02:49 PM.

I think we're headed for a third wave. Just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm not sure if you read the whole article, but it's calling the outdoor mask policy changes "too timid" and advocating for just changing it across the board to not requiring masks for people outdoors, vaccinated or not.

EDIT: Correction - not across the board, but in any cases where there aren't extended periods of talking, yelling, or singing in a crowd.
    What is too timid? What is too bold or overly cautious? Everyone won’t ever agree to everything.

Key is to be as consistent as possible and try to help people understand the real reason behind such guidelines.

Earlier no mask guideline was just to save masks for front line workers, not because masks are no use.

CDC really ought to have the power to confiscate all n95 masks on the market so that people won’t snatch them up like toilet paper... telling people to not wear mask was just unbelievably stupid.

Now, since we still have a pandemic, why not stick to what’s working until we declare real victory? Fatigued? Sure, understandable... however, we’ll be further fatigued as 3rd, 4th, nth waves that just refuse to go away...

Help people understand why are we doing this and help people be able to understand how we’ll get there. It’s really not too much to ask to have coverings or masks as we gradually open things back up.

We ought to move forward more conservatively... and sadly the conservatives don’t even believe this pandemic is real.

The US numbers are dropping.
    The US had a good week with 382k cases, down 15%.

worldometers just added a weekly trends
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../#weekly_table

And from that, this good week for the USA is 1151 cases per million. Thats a week.
    Australia is... 1157 for the whole pandemic.

Not sure why any restrictions are lifting, this is clearly still really bad. It might be improving, but its slowly and from such a high level that it could be many months before its at a level that is considered low or even cleared.
    This "herd immunity" should show as negligible number of cases. Its a long way away.

We dont have herd immunity, not even close. But we are basically covid free. If we stop flights coming in (which we have from India) then we would stay covid free. Unfortunately it seems a lot of the rest of the world is a long long way from that.