Page 256 of 433 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Things are happening slower in Canada. It's colder up there.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Brisbane has had a cluster, up to 7 cases, and is now in a 3 day lockdown.
    These next few days will be critical, see if this is contained or gets out of control.
    Vaccine wise they are still finishing off first doses for front line medical workers.

Two of the infected visited Byron Bay in NSW. This is where a few celebrities live, eg Chris Hemsworth, Zac Effron, Matt Damon. Its a popular tourist location and with local travel being encouraged there is a risk that this could be a hub for a bigger outbreak.
    If it runs rampant in Byron the there will be the bigger problem of the larger percentage of anti-mask and anti-vax fuckwits in the region. It’s hippy central in NNSW.

And former celebrity chef Pete Evans lives there too.

Well I suppose it won’t be that bad if it spreads a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Isn't that way longer than normal? I thought they were supposed to be a month apart?
    The recommended max is up 42 days here.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Isn't that way longer than normal? I thought they were supposed to be a month apart?
    I too was wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Things are happening slower in Canada. It's colder up there.
    Likely explanation.

Like maple syrup, things don't flow until it warms up.

Administrator
    Was able to schedule an appointment for after 4/15, when we should all be eligible. Michele and I should be getting the first shot on 4/21.

Still no appointments available anywhere that I can find via websites or phone calls. Tomorrow they're opening it up to "the general public", which of course is good, but will probably make trying to get an appointment even more difficult.

Not trying to complain too much, though...I remember back about a year ago when the powers that be were saying we were a couple years away from a vaccine.

And, I suppose each vaccination that someone gets reduces the chances of the rest of us catching it by some tiny amount.

Administrator
    Definitely, the more people that have the shot, the harder it is to spread.

Our county health officer said that if we get the expected number of doses over the next couple of months (and people actually get the vaccinations), that we should hit herd immunity by the end of June, with an expected 80% of the population either vaccinated or having had covid previously.

My only beef with how Colorado is doing things is that they're opening up lower age groups before even 25% of people in the next higher age groups have been vaccinated. What's the point of saying "everyone is now eligible" if people who have been eligible for weeks and months haven't been able to make an appointment and/or get their shot(s)? I suspect the politicians who are continually pounded by retail business owners and restauranteurs and the tourism industry to open things up like Texas did want to show some progress. Maybe if they can say "everyone is eligible to be vaccinated now", people will think the pandemic is over.

According to this website https://covid19.colorado.gov/vaccine-data-dashboard, the highest percentage of people having been vaccinated is only 23.74% for the 60 - 69 age group. That's as of today, and I expect that website will change with time. That seems low to me to have opened it up to those 50 - 59 a couple weeks ago, and now everyone, starting tomorrow.

The percentages seem low in every group.

Edit: the link above should work now, but you must click on Demographics to see the numbers by age groups (if anyone cares).
    Last edited by George; April 1st, 2021 at 04:33 PM.

Administrator
    I think a lot of it has to do with projected increases in vaccine supplies. I know the timelines moved up here by a couple of weeks due to projected supplies being much higher than originally estimated. I have no idea if we have breakdowns anywhere of percentages of different groups that have been vaccinated - I know overall we're at 29.4% have gotten one shot, 15.7% have gotten both (I don't know how they take J&J ones into account on this, I'd assume they're rolled up in the 15.7%). A little bit worrying is that the R0 number has started to tick up (though it's still well below 1) and hospitalizations just bumped up a bit from 638 to 652. That said, last time they went up for two days straight, then fell far enough on the third day to be lower than when it started ticking up, so I guess it's not time to panic yet.