Page 354 of 365 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364 ... LastLast
Results 3,531 to 3,540 of 3644

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    i engaged a "conscientious" anti-mandate dude on Twitter... and while he does have a point in that you can't mandate a vaccine that has a measurable rate of failure...

i come from the tropics... I've seen what paludismo (malaria) does to people, we have learned to live with less than ideal treatments.

yeah, I'm not buying it.
    acket.

I’m beginning to think mandating vaccines may be not very productive… you could forget your vaccine card, forget your phone, or lose your card and your phone… or you could be carrying a fake card… just like we know it’s good to mandate drugs to be illegal, but did it work? Enforcement is just too damn difficult…

After all, thanks to Delta, vaccinated people could still transmit. Immune compromised like Powell can still die…

Perhaps a better compromise would be mask mandate. Much easier to enforce because we can all clearly see! Even if no enforcers are around, at least you could just keep a safe distance away from them. At this point , masks are probably the best defense against transmission…

Until hospitals get emptied to normal levels, mask mandate will remain in effect.

Doesn't every vaccine have a measurable rate of failure? They work because you get enough people to tilt the odds against infection that it tilts the odds against the virus, and eventually, if you're really lucky, the virus dies off (which I believe has only ever happened with smallpox).

One thing to note about Powell - if more people were vaccinated, the chances of him being infected would have been lower. The fact that he died is evidence that *more* people should be vaccinated. The people who have chosen not to are part of the reason he's dead.

That's the thing - way too many people treat vaccinations as though they expect this on-off switch. It's just changing the math, and you still need the other parts of the equation to come together if you want a specific result. It's why we have had and still have mandates for vaccinations for public school. It's not a matter of "protect your kid or don't", it's "we need overwhelming vaccinations to make sure that nothing can get a foothold and take off."
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 21st, 2021 at 10:17 PM.

Not arguing against vaccines from a scientific point of view. I totally agree with you there! It’s just that I think it now has became way too political, plus they’re difficult to enforce and check… how am I supposed to be sure the guy next to me is truly vaccinated? With masks mandates, it’s super clear.

I know there are also antimaskers, solution is probably have them register at local hospitals to not receive covid treatments or something… free choices comes with consequences. Americans need to learn choices have consequences… can’t have it all. If you’re willing to not burden the hospitals, then sure, don’t wear masks. Of course please also respect places with mask rules.

Anyway, I’m just concerned that the mandate will cause unnecessary blow backs/disruptions that could be avoided…
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 22nd, 2021 at 12:02 AM.

We're over 100 cases a day now, thanks Delta!

Guy was talking shit and Swervo is correct. No vaccine is 100% effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Guy was talking shit and Swervo is correct. No vaccine is 100% effective.
    Otherwise it would be called a cure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty Mario
    i engaged a "conscientious" anti-mandate dude on Twitter... and while he does have a point in that you can't mandate a vaccine that has a measurable rate of failure...

i come from the tropics... I've seen what paludismo (malaria) does to people, we have learned to live with less than ideal treatments.

yeah, I'm not buying it
    Everything that used to fucking devastate humankind in the ancient and middle ages mostly doesn't anymore, well, except for death (and taxes) (and cancer) because of vaccines. (And antibiotics!) (basically, science.) Mumps. Rubella. Smallpox. Chickenpox. Flu. Etc. Even polio is mostly eradicated.

And here come these dickwads ... singlehandedly setting us back generations.

I'm ok with anti science teachers quitting, anti science cops quitting, etc etc etc. Let those luddites go back to their caves. We'll march on to a brighter future, hopefully without our gene pool infested by their chromosomes anymore.
    Last edited by neanderthal; October 22nd, 2021 at 09:46 AM.

My late father contracted polio when he was very young (less than 10 years old). One of his legs was hence underdeveloped most of his life, which obviously affected him.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I'm ok with anti science teachers quitting, anti science cops quitting, etc etc etc. Let those luddites go back to their caves. We'll march on to a brighter future, hopefully without our gene pool infested by their chromosomes anymore.
    The problem is that we don't have caves big enough for all of them. We just cannot easily eradicate them. You are going to have to deal with them eventually one way or another...

Plus, as far as I know, vaccines will eventually wear off, how can we tell if somebody received their subsequent shots, booster shots correctly?

Anyway, just gotta keep on preaching the benefits of vaccines, but maybe not the mandates. I guess the Gospel is kinda like a vaccine from God, but not everyone will believe it or want it..., Christians could try to mandate it, but then it'd become pointless... vaccines won't become pointless, but mandates will sure to make people more rebellious... these cavemen pushing back against the mandate will only be a matter of time. Just gotta keep trying to help evolve these cavemen to become better men somehow...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 22nd, 2021 at 02:05 PM.

We dont have a vaccination card, we get it registered online and you can have it on your phone. Heck you need your phone to "check-in" when you go to a shop and the same app can display your vaccination (and drivers license).
    If you dont have a smart phone then life gets tough, you have to carry a printout of your vaccination status and would have to write down your details at every shop.
    One hassle for me is that my nearest major shopping centre is in another state (territory actually!), so I need a different app for there. Would have been good to do a Australia wide system. Or even if the ACT used the NSW checkin system. The ACT is small and inside NSW. Its our equivalent of District of Columbia.