Page 240 of 245 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2441

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

So freedom could work out for us too. We’re free to choose to stay at home, work from home, home school our kid until... we’re free to go out.

Junior Potato
    Oh look at that. Daily new cases of COVID in the USA have fallen back down below 100,000.

Either God or Mother Nature has decided to help 150 million Americans to stay home by freezing 70% of the US!

That’s good for controlling the spread, but I hope people won’t freeze to death... with rolling blackouts and stuff...

This winter storm hit Texas and a number of southern red states hard! Texas experienced lower temperatures than Alaska!!!

Will America ever return to normal again?

Junior Potato
    For America, this is normal.

Per the Covid Tracking Project, an important caveat is that today's numbers are missing updates from Arkansas, Idaho, Washington, and Wyoming. That said, things are definitely headed the right direction, at least for now. Saw some speculation on how much of this might be due to about 10% of the population having had at least one vaccination shot and what that might do to community spread.

Here in LA county we have had fewer than 2,000 cases for two days in a row, which is a far cry from the 15-20k we were having a few weeks ago. Hospitalizations are down to around 3K from the 8K peak and still dropping at about 200 or so a day. Positivity rate has dropped below 7%, R0 is 0.72. We're definitely headed the right way, hopefully we can maintain it. I don't think we've seen a big Super Bowl spike (I doubt it hurt much that nobody here likes either of the two teams), so that's another positive. In LA county I believe it's about 11.7% of the population that's now had at least one vaccination. Was super happy to hear that food workers will be eligible for the next round in March, it'll be huge to have people in groceries, restaurant workers, and especially people in things like meat packing plants be able to be vaccinated.

When the pandemic first hit, and we thought we'd be stuck with it for maybe a couple of months at worst, Michele and I started doing little road trips where we'd have almost no interaction with anyone else. Our first one was to the Santa Ynez area to get some particularly good olive oil - they ship, but we figured we had nothing better to do. We went, but it was early days in the pandemic and nobody really knew what was relatively safe and what wasn't, so nothing was open. Drove there, drove back. Just re-did that one today to pick up some more, then went to the winery across the street who were doing outdoor wine tastings. Sat on their patio for a while, enjoyed some good wines, bought half a case and headed back home via 101, then through Oxnard to take PCH along the coast through Malibu back home.

It felt really good to just *go somewhere*. Also, the trusty RAV has now passed 100k miles and is still running like a champ.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 15th, 2021 at 10:50 PM.

My wife got her second vaccine shot on friday, and fortunately managed to not get any of the bad side effects like she did with the first one. So that's nice.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    If a majority of 65+ people are getting the vaccine, the hospitalization numbers SHOULD drop dramatically since they're the hardest hit and show the most symptoms. Lots of people having very minor symptoms that won't even worry about getting tested, or even think they have COVID is going to also keep the numbers down IMO.

I do wonder about long term effects from people who have had COVID, but I'm more concerned about people having gotten COVID and the possible long term effects compared to people getting vaccinated and those potential long term side effects

TL: DR, COVID scares me more than the vaccine as far as long term effects
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; February 16th, 2021 at 08:07 AM.
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Mr2, as it should.

Because the truth is, we don't honestly know much about the disease that still kills over 20% of those who end up being put on a ventilator...

For the first time since Oct. 26th, LA County posted fewer than 1,000 new cases in a single day, at 918.

We have gone 37 days without a local case (got a few incoming travellers in compulsory quarantine)
    just under 5k cases total, 5M tests done.

We are close to the same population as LA County.
    Seems your average week is more cases than our last year.

Enough gloating, Im glad your cases are coming down. And I found out a friend (Aussie at college) in Ohio got infected. She had been complainer her roommates were being very casual and now everyone in their share room has it.