Page 262 of 433 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272312362 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator
    I'm vaccinated. Not only did they not ask, they didn't even verify i had an appointment. Took longer to walk from parking than to get the shot. Now I'm in the observation zone.

Don’t ask don’t tell!

Fantastic news. More colleges and universities NEED to implement something like this.

My question for them is what are those colleges and universities doing to ensure that their employees are vaccinated? Everybody. Teachers, TAs, coaches, admin, kitchen staff, janitorial staff, facilities staff, etc. Because unless I see effort on that front all I see is a desperate money grab; they need those students, on campus, to make money.

Administrator
    I can definitely say that requiring the appointments helped with crowd control. I was worried about traffic after hearing about Thursday, so I threw a bike in the back in case it was bad, then I could park farther away and ride the rest of the way in. No need, there were like 3 other cars on the road with me when I parked on campus, walked the 1/4 mile the rest of the way and the longest line I had to wait in was between getting my vaccination card and getting the actual shot, and that was like 2-3 minutes, tops.

Now that I think about it, they did verify the appointment. The first person I sat down with took my ID, wrote up my vaccination card, and then asked me if anything regarding my health had changed since I filled out the registration. I was like "well, I filled it out yesterday, so I sure hope not..."

If anybody's in the area who wants to take advantage of that, they do not make it clear at all what the parking situation is. If you're coming from the south off the 10, the first right after Campus Rd. is the ramp down to parking structure A where they're doing the walk-ups. They're having people park in the lot right next to the structure for free. There's tons of signage for the drive-up site but almost none for the walk-up. I didn't know they were having people park next to the structure and parked next to the campus public safety building and had to pay a stupid $4 parking fee, but otherwise it was fine.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; April 10th, 2021 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Fantastic news. More colleges and universities NEED to implement something like this.

My question for them is what are those colleges and universities doing to ensure that their employees are vaccinated? Everybody. Teachers, TAs, coaches, admin, kitchen staff, janitorial staff, facilities staff, etc. Because unless I see effort on that front all I see is a desperate money grab; they need those students, on campus, to make money.
    Yeah, that's a good reading of the situation. Locally we're doing okay now - The university was slow to get moving and then effectively outsourced it to the county in chunks. University employees went in order of "importance" on a schedule slightly accelerated in relation to the wider population. At this point, I think we're at a point where anybody is able to at least schedule an appointment in the coming weeks, so that'll handle the undergrads. I got my first jab a while back, courtesy of my local county (not where the university is) who is doing a really good job
    -Formerly Stabulator

Yeah, regardless of it's schools or businesses, I think we tend to notice the bosses want to push to open up with little regard to employees' well being... because money is important to them. Sadly the politicians bought and paid for by them tend to end up listening to them too... I think this happens in post Trump era as well.

However, I get the right balance between being safe and starting to open up is tricky and everyone won't agree to the same thing..., but I think we can all agree money has way too much influence in our lives, even during the pandemic.

Hopefully in the future, whenever a pandemic is declared, CDC will temporarily be given authority to fight the pandemic without the need to wait for stupid politicians permissions... and be able to fight this in according to science and be free from politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Hopefully in the future, whenever a pandemic is declared, CDC will temporarily be given authority to fight the pandemic without the need to wait for stupid politicians permissions... and be able to fight this in according to science and be free from politics.
    Im not sure thats a great idea. The power should be with the politicians ie the elected representatives of the people.
    Maybe you could have laws where a president/prime minister/political leader can declare a situation that then automatically grants rights to an organisation such as the CDC.
    And I can see some situations where a CDC could need urgent powerful controls - such as high risk contamination eg anthrax, ricin. But I dont see a pandemic as something that needs immediate powers.

The problem is politicians, but that problem is then the voting public. Im not sure taking the power from politicians is generally the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm vaccinated. Not only did they not ask, they didn't even verify i had an appointment. Took longer to walk from parking than to get the shot. Now I'm in the observation zone.
    Which one was it? I'm gonna try to get my brother to go get jabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Im not sure thats a great idea. The power should be with the politicians ie the elected representatives of the people.
    Maybe you could have laws where a president/prime minister/political leader can declare a situation that then automatically grants rights to an organisation such as the CDC.
    And I can see some situations where a CDC could need urgent powerful controls - such as high risk contamination eg anthrax, ricin. But I dont see a pandemic as something that needs immediate powers.

The problem is politicians, but that problem is then the voting public. Im not sure taking the power from politicians is generally the best solution.
    When organizations like CDC or WHO need permission from politicians, then they’re no longer functioning as they intended to... particularly when there is a pandemic going on.

These health orgs should become the executive branch during these health wars. No time to tend to the wishes of the politicians nor the voting public. When the health emergency is over, then of course they can cease becoming the health dictators and be able to work with politicians.

This time around, leadership at WHO and CDC were severely compromised. With more independent and real powers, we just might be able to limit the severity of this pandemic.