Page 170 of 433 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Junior Potato
    Yeah that’s a weird thing actually. Not the quarantine but the technicality.

The government will let you in as long as you go direct to quarantine at your own expense.

Being a resident of the Gold Coast, it’s probably just as easy for me to go straight home and not leave my house for 14 days, so I don’t know what the ruling is there.

But the other thing is that I’d be forcing my co-inhabitants to do the same thing.

Y'all see the pics of the high school in Georgia?

I'd take my kid out that school, damn the consequences. Then i'd sue the ever loving fuck out of the school, school principal, school board, school district, city, county, and state.

I'm thinking of writing a codicil in my will that says if I die of corona, my estate should be spent ensuring the legal financial ruin of the governor and state medical personnel that have rushed the reopening of the state. (single, no kids, about a $1 million "estate" between retirement, insurance, investments, etc.)

Maybe I don't understand because I don't have kids, but is there really any real harm with maybe having a kid graduate at 19 instead of 18, if in school teaching is so important? Is there great harm in holding students back a year?

Well, there was an earlier post by dodint about how high school graduation is, apart from marriage, one of the most important rituals in the mainstream American psyche.

Which seems weird to me, it's just going from one school to the next school, but the next school also includes having to have a job at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Which seems weird to me, it's just going from one school to the next school, but the next school also includes having to have a job at the same time.
    And it's nothing notable. Millions graduate high school every year, and having been in class with a few of them in college, the bar for doing so isn't very high. Many are still "life illiterate" at that point. I passed well when I finished high school, but I didn't know shit. I really think there should be a life skills portion/ elective in that last year of high school. The number of job applicants we see coming for an interview in t shirts and shorts ...

I get that it's a milestone in the journey of life. And from that perspective, yay, you did a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Well, there was an earlier post by dodint about how high school graduation is, apart from marriage, one of the most important rituals in the mainstream American psyche.
    Correction. It was Josh.

http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?...l=1#post148810

Maybe I don't understand because I don't have kids, but is there really any real harm with maybe having a kid graduate at 19 instead of 18, if in school teaching is so important? Is there great harm in holding students back a year?
    Not much harm from a kid's perspective to have one year break or possibly more..., but what about the teachers? Are you also going to pay them while they sit around during all this time?

Airbus and Boeing continue to build planes that airlines are currently unable to afford...

Why?

Because they don't want to pay the workers for nothing... and they don't want to lay them all off either.

Online learning is probably the best way to go at this point. I'm certainly not for going back to school, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to completely stop schools. If you're in college and decide to take an year off, that's one thing..., but I'm not sure completely shutting down schools is a good idea for everyone.

Main harm for any kind of shutdown is essentially financial harm for adults. Nobody really care about the kids... otherwise school budgets wouldn't be so small.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 6th, 2020 at 08:57 AM.

Administrator
    My guess is that how old they are when they graduate isn't the issue, but the gap between times they've gone to school. When I was a kid the summer break was pretty much three months long, from a week or two into June to basically the second week of September. I remember back then teachers saying that the gap was long enough that it meant the first month or so of the next school year was just doing review of the previous year because the kids would forget so much of it, I have to imagine that'd be notably worse with a year-long absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    High school graduation meant nothing to me. I only went through the stupid ceremony because I was not allowed to skip it because "oh it's so important"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My guess is that how old they are when they graduate isn't the issue, but the gap between times they've gone to school. When I was a kid the summer break was pretty much three months long, from a week or two into June to basically the second week of September. I remember back then teachers saying that the gap was long enough that it meant the first month or so of the next school year was just doing review of the previous year because the kids would forget so much of it, I have to imagine that'd be notably worse with a year-long absence.
    I really hate the summer break system. Especially after my time in Japan and having 2 medium length breaks between semesters