Page 22 of 433 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

I wouldn't agree with that. Based on the numbers it has a mortality rate in the ballpark of 20 times that of the flu, given that minor cases are going undiagnosed its probably more like half that, certainly no-one is suggesting mortality rates less than or similar to the flu. In terms of who it hits age and whether you have some other issus is a massive factor. Under 50 it's really not an issue, over 80 and you're looking at about 15% mortality so thats a pretty high number. Ignoring age if you also have cancer its about 10% and for diabetics its 8% (so something you _really_ need to think about it you are diabetic).

However the real risk is the number of serious cases, the ones requiring hospitalization. If it really takes off in an area (eg Wuhan, Iran) then you simply run out of beds/medical infrastructure so you can't effectively treat those serious cases and then things go very badly very quickly. The other complicating factor is that because we don't have any immunity of vaccine it spreads a lot more easily than flu so once it gets out it can run through a population much quicker than the flu, this is why governments are cancelling events, reinforcing the need for washing hands etc.

It's not prepper stage yet but to say its no worse than the normal flu is also very misleading (or simply flat out incorrect)

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I'm not following this stuff real closely, I just see what people post on FB, so grain of salt and all that...

Tyler, do you know if this bug is no big deal for healthy individuals? People are saying the mortality rate (percentage) is lower than the flu. If that's true I think the panic will blow over pretty quickly no?
    Honestly, I have seen a lot of information, most of it conflicting. I can't go by anything from China. Too much gray area. Japan doesn't seem to understand how to do a true quarantine. I have seen photos of people wearing N95 masks, proclaimed healthcare professionals, who aren't obtaining a proper mask seal, and others who aren't covering their nose at all.....which is like, the first lesson in mask wearing.

At work, we haven't even began talking about it professionally, because we would treat it like a tuberculosis patient if they did come. PAPRs and all.

The mortality rate I have seen is between 2-4%. Again, this is from the news I have seen. With the classifications being broadened, that muddies the water a bit on the overall mortality with it. This is also coming from outside countries that have varying methods to handle ARDs, etc. Because.....reasons, y'know?

Ultimately, from a clinician standpoint, it has the possibility of being very bad. From the science standpoint, it's absolutely fascinating.

Best practice is to avoid confined areas for long periods without large amounts of fresh airflow. Coughing into your elbow, proper hand hygiene, and seeing the doctor when you are sick. The earlier you are treated for any illness the lower the risk of co-morbidity, or concurring illness, is of utmost importance.
    Last edited by Godson; February 27th, 2020 at 06:03 PM.

A clear and reliable count of cases, outcomes, and other COVID-19 information: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Okay, here’s a possible reason why CA had our 1st local case. According to whistleblower report, dept of human health services sent in workers without protective gear nor proper training to help settle in the repatriated Americans from Wuhan.

https://apple.news/Abwy25tilTE2TAhmXvnZttg

We definitely should not praise the US govt for their handling of the situation. This will only further encourage more NIMBYism in the future...

If anyone is interested in learning about Epidemics, The University of Hong Kong's EDx progra is offering Epidemics I and II for FREE to all members of the general public.

https://www.edx.org/course/epidemics-i

https://www.edx.org/course/epidemics-ii

#Shouldhaveleftthemontheboat

#RealQuarantine

Administrator
    EDIT: On second thought, it's probably best this go in the politics thread, given the hopes to keep politics out of this one. Sorry folks.

To be fair, anyone who puts quotes around DO NOT TOUCH deserves what's coming to them.

edit: shoot missed there was a new page. This was in response to the pic of Pence touching that space equipment.

You missed couple of pages actually... goes to show that you’re not really all that interested in this beer virus...