Page 276 of 433 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286326376 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

You can’t just trust other nation’s numbers blindly… not India, not China and not even USA! Even if their numbers are indeed trustworthy, you do have to also look at the positivity rate of the folks at your own airport! If positive passengers are straining your quarantine system, what else can you do?

You can’t worry about being called racist for protecting your own country. Your own citizen’s lives should matter more.

I’ve been accused of being racist against the Chinese from the beginning, but had the world adopted my view, perhaps this pandemic won’t become as bad. The funny thing is that the head of WHO has actually accused Taiwan of being racist, but Taiwan is one of the nations in the world who has this virus under the most control. Not to mention Taiwan had probably the closest ties with China pre-pandemic.

Racism is certainly bad, but we can’t hold ourselves back from doing the right thing just because somebody accused you of being racist.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 4th, 2021 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Yeah there is some mixed messages about the India ban.
    The numbers in India, in per million pop, arent worse than parts of Europe now. Or the USA for long periods. But this is the first ban (other than Iran very early - thats where some of our initial cases came from)
    Some are saying its racist, as the policy seems to target India when it didnt do the same for predominately white countries.
    But the other side is that this was based not on cases in the source country, but on the positive rate on the returning people. That has hit our quarantine system hard.
    I read a Canadian article this morning saying every single flight coming from India or Pakistan from February to May(?) had at least one person on it who tested positive for COVID when they landed. Despite passing a rapid test in the 3 days before embarking on the flight. It went on to also say that many people then failed the rapid test on their 8th day of their mandatory quarantine. Some also tested positive at 14 days, but not at 8 days.

It turned out that the people flying in from India/ Pakistan were a significant portion of the new cases. I hate when facts are racist but facts is facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Your own citizen’s lives should matter more.
    Thats the point - the only people who would be allowed to fly from India to here are Australian citizens!!
    We are stopping them from coming back home.
    This includes people who went over for funerals and people playing professional sport in India (have quite a few aussies playing cricket in India, some just made it back before the ban)

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...08338-amp.html

Not sure how true is this story, snopes gave mixed result…

If true, then it’s very scary…

Indian dr, an infectious disease expert, had 2 Pfizer doses, visited India, died because of Covid in India…

Junior Potato
    Very scary?

You mean you’re questioning the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine because of one death?

In an 80 year old?

Vaccine is increased resistance, not immunity.

What do you mean by resistance? What's the point of vaccine if it doesn't increase immunity for you? I've only heard of vaccine resistance caused by the anti-vaxxers! Are you saying, if enough of got the vaccine, we also shouldn't call that having herd immunity, but should call it herd resistance?

Anyway, my impression had always been that mRNA vaccines would prevent hospitalization 95% of the time. Even 1 does would give help us avoid hospitalization 60+% of the time. I was also assuming these shots would prevent death caused by Covid nearly 100% of the time... especially if the vaccines would help not strain the healthcare system.

If that story is true, not sure what's the main reason for cause of death... could be due to variant virus that rendered the vaccines ineffective... or perhaps the hospitals there are so strained that they just couldn't help him when complications arise...

Anyway, nowadays most people are anti-maskers. Shouldn't take long to find out how effective are our vaccines against variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Very scary?

You mean you’re questioning the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine because of one death?

In an 80 year old?
    I mean, it's Billi you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I mean, it's Billi you're talking about.
    Ding ding ding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    What do you mean by resistance? What's the point of vaccine if it doesn't increase immunity for you? I've only heard of vaccine resistance caused by the anti-vaxxers! Are you saying, if enough of got the vaccine, we also shouldn't call that having herd immunity, but should call it herd resistance?

Anyway, my impression had always been that mRNA vaccines would prevent hospitalization 95% of the time. Even 1 does would give help us avoid hospitalization 60+% of the time. I was also assuming these shots would prevent death caused by Covid nearly 100% of the time... especially if the vaccines would help not strain the healthcare system.

If that story is true, not sure what's the main reason for cause of death... could be due to variant virus that rendered the vaccines ineffective... or perhaps the hospitals there are so strained that they just couldn't help him when complications arise...

Anyway, nowadays most people are anti-maskers. Shouldn't take long to find out how effective are our vaccines against variants.
    Also important to remember, viral load matters