Page 412 of 412 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 4120

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Almost went to one of the 3D printing festivals last weekend...sort of glad I didn't as now there's a COVID outbreak from that festival too. Most people are feeling ok but testing positive.

COMPLETELY unscientific data here, but many of the people who seem to have gotten it that I know of recently have had quite minor symptoms...maybe BA.4 or BA.5 is milder than previous omicron or more people are boosted
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

So got to work today... Like 2/3rds{28ppl} of the shift are out on covid protocol...

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    My sister has it and it's knocking her out. She's on day 6 and has been sleeping a ton the last 2-3 days. She started Paxlovid on day 4 (a little too late?) and she's not sure what's worse, the disease or the medicine. I'm getting kinda worried. She's triple jabbed too.
    Same with my partner - not that sick but completely wiped out.

I didn't have that so much but I was waking up dog tired for weeks afterwards.

One of my co-workers has it for the second time in ~3 months....that seems to be an issue, people getting COVID but then getting another variant or getting it again, as it feels like the ability to re-infect is higher than before. That throws out the "everyone will get COVID so let's not worry about it" narrative when re-infections will happen more often
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Administrator
    Which really sucks. You'd kinda hope that my wife and dad having gone through it along with being vaccinated would mean that our trip to Spain in a few months would be relatively care free on that front, but nope.

hoping the new covid booster designed to counteract omicron comes out soon
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Yeah, supposedly the new booster is in works or on the way?

Reinfections had 90% lower odds of resulting in hospitalization or death than primary infections.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2108120

Reinfections are definitely annoying, but the same 'what doesn't kill you should make you stronger' is still holding true with our immune system. Of course nothing's absolute, there's still a 10% chance your reinfection could be worse and possibly kill you, but for the most part reinfection or vaccincated folks who got infected have good chance a recovering.

Ideally it's probably just better to continue to mask up and appropriate social distancing. These rapid tests also are super convenient nowadays for small social gatherings... I'm also glad that we now have effective treatment options.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Reinfections are definitely annoying, but the same 'what doesn't kill you should make you stronger' is still holding true with our immune system.
    Not sure that's a great conclusion...

It could just as easily be that people who are likely to die from covid will mostly die the first time they get it but if they survive that then the second time is still a big risk.
    Imagine playing russian roulette with a peanut allergy, with one empty chamber - those who are allergic but survive the first round are still likely to die in the second round. It would look like the second round is much less deadly because most of those who were allergic went in the first round.

║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Not sure that's a great conclusion...

It could just as easily be that people who are likely to die from covid will mostly die the first time they get it but if they survive that then the second time is still a big risk.
    Imagine playing russian roulette with a peanut allergy, with one empty chamber - those who are allergic but survive the first round are still likely to die in the second round. It would look like the second round is much less deadly because most of those who were allergic went in the first round.
    I'm not really sure either. That's why we still wear masks in a place where most people don't! My family probably looks like liberal weridos in my new neighborhood, but whatever. Better safe to not play russian roulette than be sorry...

We've also occasionally dine out, but will make sure they have outdoor dining. We've also opened up our home for the very 1st time recently and allowed guests from Singapore to stay over only because of availability of rapid tests. (If they showed positive, then they'll have to stay in the RV.) I'm sure working and going to school from home also helped. Come next year when we plan on sending daughter back to real school, things may change...

Anyway, still monitoring how Covid is spreading... if hospitalizations/deaths go up, then of course we won't be sending her back to school.

The main thing we worry about are our cats. We are vaccinated, but none of our cats are. If our household got infected, wonder what would happen to our cats...

Too bad Swervo has now put me on ignore, dude, in case you see this post, just wondering how your cats are doing... does Covid really do anything to them?

Looking at the latest data: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/sta...97827954311168

Looks like BA.4/5 is gonna cause some problems for us if Portugal's trend continues for other nations. Portugal does have quite a significant aging population, higher than US, but their vaccine/booster rate is a lot higher than the US. However, if we look at South Africa, BA.4/5 may not be too bad?

Anyway, people can reach their own conclusions as data become more available. I found that tweet from this article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-worst...131933423.html
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; Yesterday at 11:04 AM.