Page 174 of 433 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Scientists. Believe scientists.
    Not Putin?

Never know... maybe its actually a Russian virus and they actually already have a vaccine...

Which ever nation that came up with an effective cure/vaccine quickly ready to profit from the entire world definitely deserves some scrutiny IMHO.

I do trust science, but I don't understand science fully. As for scientists, well, even scientists themselves could still be influenced by money and politics.

Most of the scientific community did not believe Einstien's theory of relativity when initially introduced... so science isn't about popular opinion. However, just give it time, science should eventually reveal the real truth. So don't rush, particular not to rush to buy from Putin!

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ry-day/615217/

Interesting read. Nevermind the WHO, our very own CDC failed miserably. It’s not because science or technology that failed us, but lack of political will... or politics corrupting our supposedly scientific apolitical agency... Resulting the fiasco that we see.

I guess it’s not just covid19, same thing happened for global warming, BLM, or whatever else that doesn’t immediately threatens the billionaires... our government doesn’t see it as a national emergency... sigh...

I don’t care what time of year or the situation, you can never trust government or their agencies.

It’s all about $$$ honey. In the US, at least.

Administrator
    I don't think that's necessarily true. We're living in a weird time here in America, but I'd, for instance, trust the USGS, NOAA, and the Parks Service. NASA still seems pretty legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily true. We're living in a weird time here in America, but I'd, for instance, trust the USGS, NOAA, and the Parks Service. NASA still seems pretty legit.
    I trust NASA because I believe the earth is not flat...even though I haven’t actually been to space to see the ball.

Don’t know the rest you mentioned. I was just generalizing in a fun way, in a time when no one’s in the mood for fun and games.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I'm really hopeful in the recently announced consortium between the governments of Argentina and Mexico along with the Carlos Slim Foundation and other philanthropists to produce the Astra-Zeneca treatment for latam.

Maybe it won't solve the covid crisis, but it's nice to see the guys at the top realize that cooperation can help us move forward.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I trust NASA because I believe the earth is not flat...even though I haven’t actually been to space to see the ball.

Don’t know the rest you mentioned. I was just generalizing in a fun way, in a time when no one’s in the mood for fun and games.
    Heh, I'm probably overly sensitive since we're finding ourselves in this world where everyone's harping on about the "deep state" and "draining the swamp", but basically everyone I know that works in government is really committed to actually helping.

For what it's worth, the USGS is the US Geological Survey and I'm most familiar with them as the agency I turn to when there's an earthquake, and the NOAA is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which includes the National Weather Service and is in charge of a lot of the satellite infrastructure for observing weather and the oceans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Heh, I'm probably overly sensitive since we're finding ourselves in this world where everyone's harping on about the "deep state" and "draining the swamp", but basically everyone I know that works in government is really committed to actually helping.
    Ugh, you’re not the only one sick of the “deep state” and the conspiracy/tabloid culture we’re living in. It’s just too much now, and the stakes are higher than ever before. Freedom of speech, as great as it is, is a double edged sword.

For what it's worth, the USGS is the US Geological Survey and I'm most familiar with them as the agency I turn to when there's an earthquake, and the NOAA is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which includes the National Weather Service and is in charge of a lot of the satellite infrastructure for observing weather and the oceans.
    You mean they’re real science? Who believes in that? Who can trust it???

Somebody like Trump could always put in place flat earthers to head up NASA or climate change deniers... just like he could put in place wonderful PostMasters to dismantle the USPS when it suits him.

On the flip side, somebody like Elon Musk may try influence climate change experts to help him sell more solar panels and electric cars.

Who can we really trust? I guess lets just try to do the best we can and by not fall to either extreme sides... I am a 'moderate' in this respect..., I'm just not a corporate moderate! It's the corporate money that kills it for me.

Also, if only governments can become more trustworthy, it'll also be easier to implement 'mandates' when necessary... Anyway, dream on I guess.

Hopefully at least we'll learn from our failures. At least in engineering, we learn the most after a failure.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 14th, 2020 at 09:52 PM.