Page 161 of 433 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Tangential topic..., Bernie Sanders didn’t want to be ‘racist’ by suggesting universal healthcare, but black establishment didn’t want it!

Racism or pragmatism?

You can’t just pick whatever one whenever suits you.

Personally I believe it’s classism more than racism. We had a black president for 8 years! That should say something about our nation. Of course racism is still around. It's just that if our class divide isn’t so wide, racism also wouldn’t be as bad.

Coronavirus can’t possibly be as racist as cops. It’s not because of a few bad virus that ended up killing more black people. It’s clearly the system, setting up to not protect poorer class of folks. There can certainly be poorer white people who are also being screwed too, so those are probably the type who love Trump's rhetoric. As they're getting screwed, the left continued to push that everyone else's life matter more than their privileged white ass, what do you expect those folks to do but to support somebody like Trump?

Anyway, racism of individuals can be difficult to change, but we should be able change the system if there's collective will.

Again, the progressives are the ones trying to change the system. The black establishment insist on status quo... so... anyway, hopefully Biden will surprise us? If not, at least status quo will be better than now.

However, as the black and white folks fight about racism, the system will continue to widening the gap between the rich and poor... and continue to exacerbate the problem.

We can defund the police all we want, but will the people with the money give it to the poor?

Com'on, let's be pragmatic about that...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 13th, 2020 at 08:15 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Yup. There are *a lot* of ways of enforcing/ enacting subtle racism classism. The city I live in, McKinney. Tejas, doesn't have public transportation. And refused to connect to the Dallas light rail when it expanded north. To keep out the poors.
    People in Santa Monica still claim that the train line being extended into downtown SM brings in "crime from other areas" despite no actual evidence to support that.

I just read a Twitter thread yesterday about the history of racism in Santa Monica and how it continues on in a less official fashion today, aaaaaand I was just able to find it again: https://twitter.com/MattttStevens/st...64518572920833

COVID is disproportionately affecting (and killing*) black and brown people. Many of whom are aware and being very careful. It's not the chlorine we need. Ifit only affected the people being stupid about wearing masks and taking precautions i'd probably agree with you, but that is not the case.

*many black and brown people live in impoverished areas, a lot of which are food deserts, and many of which are also polluted (lets not get into the history of that!) and thus have lingering/ underlying health issues that make them more susceptible to death, if they get it. We don't want to examine the structural and systemic bias that "corrals" them into these areas, then keeps them there either.

See below video for context about reallocation of urban funds to areas where black/ brown/ poor typically don't live. An angle most people don't even think about.

Yeah I probably should've said it a bit different. We need to get rid of the stupids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    People in Santa Monica still claim that the train line being extended into downtown SM brings in "crime from other areas" despite no actual evidence to support that.

I just read a Twitter thread yesterday about the history of racism in Santa Monica and how it continues on in a less official fashion today, aaaaaand I was just able to find it again: https://twitter.com/MattttStevens/st...64518572920833
    I wonder how many of those white Santa Monica residences are really Trump supporter...

Pasadena is another city in LA with long history of segregation. Blacks live on the north side and rich white folks near south side. I attended schools there. The city purposely bused kids around to integrate everyone, but then rich white kids simply go to private schools. So my classmates were mostly brown colors...

I took my daughter to trick or treat in the rich white neighborhood every so often and saw plenty of vote for Hillary signs in their yards. Not one dared to openly support Trump in CA I guess...

Anyway, my point is that racism is probably a bipartisan effort. It can’t be a systemic problem if only the republicans are racist... and the main reason why it’s a bipartisan effort is because regardless of party, we all love money. It’s the job of the haves to have more and keep out the have nots.

Coronavirus isn’t racist, it simply spreads amongst the more vulnerable 1st...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 13th, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The more we know about it, it looks to be a worse illness than we first thought.

It either fucks you up or it fucks you up.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    The more we know about it, it looks to be a worse illness than we first thought.

It either fucks you up or it fucks you up.
    Initially saw that it left the lungs damaged. Working, but damaged.

Now seeing that it wrecks the heart too.

Not for the drugs. Not for being an accessory or anything (clean record.) For not snitching in the people in the house. YEARS.

Unrelated to COVID, I know, but tangential to the discussion of systemic oppression.
    Not unrelated at all, as prisons are hotbeds for community spread since they can’t exactly physically distance. And hey, guess what, they’re filled with loads of people of color serving time for bullshit “crimes” (along with actual criminals too, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Not unrelated at all, as prisons are hotbeds for community spread since they can’t exactly physically distance. And hey, guess what, they’re filled with loads of people of color serving time for bullshit “crimes” (along with actual criminals too, of course).
    That thread nearly broke me bro. And I knew how racist the system was. If you saw how many public defenders chimed in with their own stories. Small, petty, insignificant crap. People getting long stints.
    The number of "that's so awful/ etc" comments ... We live in completely separate worlds.

Junior Potato
    None of it gets widely reported in the news either. All swept under the rug by government and craven media.

Nice intersection between health issues, welfare, race, and politics. Could add media, wealth, natural resources and colonialism into the mix and make a nice heady stew designed to favour The Man.

It’s amazing how Europeans created the western legal framework and then used it to allow themselves to oppress indigenous people all over the world. Fucking hell.

Our school board has been meeting via Zoom, because of course it's too dangerous to be in the same room, and now they've decided to push back the start of the school year by one whole week (what difference will that make?!) and then to resume school as normal, with teachers and students back in the classroom five days per week.

I honestly don't know what to think. On the one hand, I can see that kids need to be in class to properly learn and not just goof around at home, but on the other...

Seems like a lose/lose deal for everyone, no matter what happens.

I saw a meme somewhere online that said something like, "You just know some parents are going to drop off Covid-19-positive kids at school because they have to go to work." I won't repeat the exact text I saw, but that was the point being made. I think I agree.