Page 139 of 433 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...nally-appealed

"A US state with close ties to Chinese President Xi Jinping’s alma mater directly petitioned the Chinese leader for protective clothing for its medical workers battling the coronavirus last month, leading to it receiving supplies from Sichuan province, Tsinghua University and other Chinese sources.

Jay Inslee, the governor of Washington state, wrote a personal letter to Xi on April 2 asking to “access the enormous productive capacity of China to obtain critically needed medical supplies” such as surgical masks, disposable gowns and gloves as state health authorities faced “extreme challenges” securing supplies.
    Wan, whose father served as the Chinese ambassador to Morocco in the late 1980s and early 1990s, said he had been moved to act after watching the virus take hold in his home state while in China on business. Washington state, which has recorded about 19,500 coronavirus cases and 1,000 deaths, ultimately received donations of an unspecified quantity of supplies from several Chinese government and private sources following the letter appealing directly to Xi."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm curious to see how he reacts to me pointing out that every fourth seat is 25% capacity.

EDIT: Hah, he blocked me.
    Religion FTW!!! Was this "God Is Testing Me So I Blocked the Unbeliever" or was it "Thank God for Helping Me Win This Argument by Blocking the Unbeliever"?? lololololol

If I were the pastor, surly Swervo would eventually be the one blocking me?

Then again maybe not. I haven’t gone to church for months. God doesn’t need to be worshipped at any specific locations... church is not the buildings but the people! We are the actual body of Christ! So we ought to treat it with some respect and try not to catch avoidable diseases...

Of course although my body only attend services online, I also send money to church online too. I can understand some places of worship depend on these cash donations from ‘visitors’, but in all honesty, if a church can’t survive thru this pandemic, it probably shouldn’t even exist in the 1st place.

...Pastor of local church responded back that that's ridiculous, that people sitting at church aren't going to bump into each other, and if you "seat them three or four seats apart", then it'll be fine.

I'm curious to see how he reacts to me pointing out that every fourth seat is 25% capacity.

EDIT: Hah, he blocked me.
    Looks like you gave him the benefit of the doubt too. It appears the pastor was suggesting an even lower, 20% occupancy.

Administrator
    Not sure which thread this belongs in, but figured I'd go here. Take with a grain of salt, as it is a democratic state congressman from PA, but Brian Sims is saying that the house speaker, a republican, hid the fact that some GOP members of the house had tested positive for COVID from the democrats even though some of them were on committees with those GOP members, who not only were exposed themselves without their knowledge but then could have brought it home to their families.

https://twitter.com/BrianSimsPA/stat...87518974377991

We're back to 8 active Covid cases now. Lockdown life y'all.

Not sure which thread this belongs in, but figured I'd go here. Take with a grain of salt, as it is a democratic state congressman from PA, but Brian Sims is saying that the house speaker, a republican, hid the fact that some GOP members of the house had tested positive for COVID from the democrats even though some of them were on committees with those GOP members, who not only were exposed themselves without their knowledge but then could have brought it home to their families.

If true, I can’t believe this doesn’t violate any laws?

Hiding the fact that you’ve tested positive and perhaps intentionally trying to infect your political opponents like that? Gee...

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    We're back to 8 active Covid cases now. Lockdown life y'all.
    I kinda feel bad for governments around the world... if too many are dead, surly govt will be blamed for not doing its job. And if you controlled the virus too well, then the public may criticize you for being a commie/Nazi for shutting people down and ruining economies... it’s like a no win situation.

Yup, it's going to be interesting at the next election, given that the Labour Party (in power now) will be saying "We saved lives", and the National Party (opposition) will be saying "at the cost of how many jobs".

I'm unsurprisingly quite left in my politics, so I'm very much on the Labour Party side. So the arguments with my workmates (mostly National Party supporters) might be interesting, if I bother getting into politics with them.

To me, morally the only right decision is to do what happened. Which was go hard, go early. Shut the borders. 4 weeks full lockdown. If we're paying off that shit for 10 years, I'd rather be looking at that, than having killed a hell of a lot of vulnerable people.

Fuck Republicans. Does it need to be said?

HIPAA is a bitch in that front.

That's about all I can say.