Page 203 of 433 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Mega churches. Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    You're not wrong, Tom... but what you're suggesting is against our Constitutional right to assemble. It makes it a big problem because those mass gatherings which are super-spreaders really only get shut down with marshal law type mechanics. That could end up saving us in the short run and have the population erupt in anger and non-civility in the long run.

I don't have much of a better solution though. The problem is now and the solutions/strategies have to be implemented yesterday.

Perhaps a carrot technique might work: People will have access to the vaccine on an accelerated timeline if they can demonstrated that they've been socially distance responsible for x amount of weeks/months. With penalties for attempting to lie about it. I dunno...
    Don’t forget there are anti-carrot people around even before the pandemic!

You’re absolutely right that we just don’t know what to do nor do we collectively know what we’re doing... just like 2A rights as well.

To other nations, for sure they thought of US as weird, but the American way is just different I guess.

Until most American believe we are at war with something, we probably just won’t be able to make much progress with that something.

It’s good and bad I suppose... it took the US a long time to get involved WWII, but once we’re all in, then we should be able to fix the problem quickly. For this pandemic, we are still coming up with the vaccine unbelievably quickly thanks to the massive spread! There’s no way Taiwan nor NZ will be able to find enough patients to test out their vaccines!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    You're not wrong, Tom... but what you're suggesting is against our Constitutional right to assemble.
    I am very bad at constitutional law, but it seems like at least most counties and states have at least put restrictions on how many people can attend churches and other gatherings. I've heard of some state courts saying that it violates at least the state constitution, but so far I'm not aware of any federal rulings about that.

Junior Potato
    The distribution of the vaccine should be designed in such a way that it will do whatever saves the most lives.

I know it’s a nice sentiment, but giving it first to the people who have exhibited the best lockdown behaviour won’t save the most lives.

Junior Potato
    And the USA has had curfews before. Check this out:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ght-180949915/

Albeit a very light one. But there is a precedent. Hopefully it can be done again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    The distribution of the vaccine should be designed in such a way that it will do whatever saves the most lives.

I know it’s a nice sentiment, but giving it first to the people who have exhibited the best lockdown behaviour won’t save the most lives.

My intention isn't sentiment... but the purpose would be to hopefully improve current lockdown behaviour. If that public interaction can be changed for the better--that's what will save most lives. I fully don't expect to have the vaccine available for my demographic for at least a year. I'm going to be depending upon others. Might as well ask for that now.

Speaking of vaccine distribution, I think the CEO of Pfizer and his immediate family needs to get immunized first. Also employees who’ve directly worked on it should also take the shots.

At this point, Pfizer CEO cashed out 60% of his stocks right before the announcement of his new vaccines left me feeling a bit uncomfortable...

Surely we know medical workers should be the 1st in line for vaccines, but what if something goes wrong and we accidentally eradicated all of our medical front line workers?

Therefore I think the company CEO and immediate families need to get their shots 1st.

Junior Potato
    So the 38,000 people who were administered their doses in the vaccine trial don't count?

We should just ignore the fact that the vaccine has been perfectly safe and nobody in that trial has experienced adverse effects?

Don't you work in a scientific field? Do you not understand how these things work?

And what happened to your faith in God?

If God cashes out His stock and profit off of us, I'm sure I'll lose faith.

How can you be so faithful to corporate CEOs? They are just so moral and scientific and better than God?

Extra doses to the CEO's family won't waste too much of our vaccine supplies.

If a CEO cashes out on his stocks and hesitant about taking the vaccine, you'd still have faith in his vaccine?

If Boeing CEO doesn't want to fly the Max, you shouldn't trust Boeing engineers.

When somebody like Donald Trump is in charge, likewise, you probably shouldn't trust America too much.

Same principle. Has little to do with science, but a lot to do with integrity. I can't trust people with questionable integrity. You shouldn't too.

Science is fine and dandy, but people with questionable integrity could corrupt science.

There's no reason to trust WHO and CDC as if they're Gods. They could easily be politically compromised. Of course, not saying they are totally useless now, but they just need better leadership.

Now really isn't the time to sell off your stocks if you're a big pharma CEO. It doesn't build trust.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; November 23rd, 2020 at 02:06 PM.

Junior Potato
    https://twitter.com/mark_toshner/sta...869566976?s=21

More on vaccines. I'm going to get boring and geeky on this (no apologies) on the 10 year thing. Vaccines "normally take 10 years". This is being use as a reason to be fearful (ie rushed job). I'm a clinical trials doc. I can tell you most of that time is spent doing...1/n

.... nothing. It's spent submitting funding requests, then resubmitting them, then waiting, then submitting them somewhere else, then getting the money but the company changes it's mind or focus, then renegotiating then submitting ethics, then waiting for regulators...2/n

...then having problems with recruitment and having to open other sites, then dealing with more regulatory issues, then finally when you eventually get to the end of all of this you might have a therapy...3/n

... or not. At this point it may not be deemed profitable or any number of other obstacles.

However we have collectively now shown that with money no object, some clever and highly motivated people, an unlimited pool of altruistic volunteers and sensible regulators...4/n

That we can do amazing things (necessity being the mother etc). These trials have been nothing short of miraculous, revolutionary but in the context perhaps it is not surprising given our ability to innovate when we REALLY need to...5/n

and we really needed to. Safety hasn't been compromised. 100s of thousands of great people volunteered for experimental vaccines. The world watched closely. The press reported every serious adverse event. There have so far been a handful. A triumph of good people/good process.

I am confident that when regulators and scientists pour over the safety data (and we will because we are a bit that way inclined) that vaccines will only be used if we are confident that the risk is definitively outweighed by benefit. This should give you confidence too.