Page 228 of 433 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator
    My mom is still in the secondary group but my dad turns 81 in a month. He's still been unable to get one in San Diego.

Then again, a lot of the same voices that told us this pandemic was going to be worse than the official line have also said that the vaccine rollout will take a while. None of this is really surprising me.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; January 18th, 2021 at 07:15 AM.

I have another headache... my mom, the one who did not diagnose with dementia nor is she delirious due to dialysis , told me yesterday that she didn't want the vaccine.

She said she's had bad reactions to flu vaccines before so she's stop taking them ever since. She's afraid of COVID vaccines too. She said she's old enough... if she dies she dies.

I did not have the energy to deal with her at the moment after dealing with my dad... hope she'll come to her senses later.

I anticipate that I will not ever have the opportunity to be vaccinated. :shrug:

I am not particularly concerned, as I do not go out much and always observe best practices when I do.

The thing is... unless the entire family unit lives in complete isolation, there's always a chance for you to catch it.

I think one of the main reason why LA is so screwed up is because our city has one of the highest per household density. If one person in the household catches it, pretty much everyone in it will be infected.

I'm sure vaccines will become available to everyone eventually..., just don't expect that to happen too quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My mom is still in the secondary group but my dad turns 81 in a month. He's still been unable to get one in San Diego.

Then again, a lot of the same voices that told us this pandemic was going to be worse than the official line have also said that the vaccine rollout will take a while. None of this is really surprising me.
    At least I've noticed many of my frontline working friends on FB getting all of their shots in time. Sometimes their family members were able to get the vaccine too. I have a friend who lives in LA county but works in a hospital in Irvine/Orange County and her dad was also a patient in the hospital before so she was able to sign her 65 yr old dad up for the vaccine... I think he just got it recently...

Anyway, at least I can see progress being made... slow is better than not moving at all.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I have another headache... my mom, the one who did not diagnose with dementia nor is she delirious due to dialysis , told me yesterday that she didn't want the vaccine.

She said she's had bad reactions to flu vaccines before so she's stop taking them ever since. She's afraid of COVID vaccines too. She said she's old enough... if she dies she dies.

I did not have the energy to deal with her at the moment after dealing with my dad... hope she'll come to her senses later.
    I don't know if it'll help as people aren't always super willing to listen to science, but do you think it might help to explain that it's a very different vaccine than the flu one? There's no actual virus involved in this, it's just mRNA that triggers your cells to start producing the same spike protein that the virus uses to hijack cells.

Locally, we apparently used up all our "second doses" in an effort to vaccinate quicker, since we were assured that the fed had reserves that would be available. Turns out that was false, so some folks are going to need to get three doses.

Our country is ran like shit, and I'm starting to understand libertarianism more and more.

Administrator
    Man, I'd go the other way with that. Less libertarian nations seem to have their shit together way better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Locally, we apparently used up all our "second doses" in an effort to vaccinate quicker, since we were assured that the fed had reserves that would be available. Turns out that was false, so some folks are going to need to get three doses.

Our country is ran like shit, and I'm starting to understand libertarianism more and more.
    My understanding was it would ultimately be one dose, not three. 2x as many people at 90% effectiveness being better than the normal rollout at 95% efficiency. I don't agree with it.

Ashie was vaccinated on Saturday so she could work in a hospital for the next 8 weeks, so that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't know if it'll help as people aren't always super willing to listen to science, but do you think it might help to explain that it's a very different vaccine than the flu one? There's no actual virus involved in this, it's just mRNA that triggers your cells to start producing the same spike protein that the virus uses to hijack cells.
    I don't think my mom particularly cares for science. She's just afraid of the nasty side effects she experienced when she had her flu shots. The stories of COVID vaccine side effects surely didn't help ease her fears.

Best course of action is probably appeal to her using emotions... such as for the safety of her grand daughter... maybe she'll be willing to endure.

Further, she's also my dad's main care taker, she can't afford to have sore arms or fevers and be left unable to take care of my dad. I will probably have to take over if she goes thru with the vaccine...

Everything is a big mess now. Need to learn to embrace the choas... and know that God is somehow still in control. Otherwise, I think I would've given up and start partying or join the insurrection too.