Page 51 of 433 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    Is this how fast the flu shot must be updated.

No. Natural immunity usually lasts around 60-70 years.

I'm wondering patient 1 has relapsed.

AFAIK, vaccines work by 'training' our immune system, right?

Such stories makes me wonder if we'll ever have a vaccine against this... it could just end up spreading like common cold, right?

We'll just have to develop more effective treatments to ease the symptoms?

So, supermarket are open, post offices are in reduced capacity but are working, post is being sent and received, Amazon is delivering products but has limited it to "essential products".
    Industries are open, or the economical fallout would be unbearable. So there's the paradoxical fact that shoe shops are obviously closed, for example, but shoe industries are still going.
    Computer shops (not big chains or shops in the malls) but really small shops were you go to order a PC manually assembled by them are open because people may need their hardware to work.
    Restaurants, banks, pubs, fast foods are closed to the public but... home delivery is allowed. So the usual Just Eat, Glovo, Deliveroo, Uber Eats are working quite a bit.
    They try to do a contactless delivery, leaving the food distant from you, eventually following the instruction you give them by phone/app/site when ordering.

EDIT: post offices do not use traditional stamps anymore.
    Also "tabacchi" are open: they are places where you can buy cigarettes, train and bus tickets and also tax stamps for some documents. Often they sell gums, candies, lottery tickets and do photocopies, too.
    Last edited by Blerpa; March 19th, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

Obviously there are tons of people that are smart working from home - something that Italy hasn't been very keen, since it is behind in methods of works, so many firms and companies are kinda experimenting now in how to make smart work its total list of employees, not just who was home because of a new baby born, or with sick leave or in mobility.
    Also, I should underline that supermarket are open, but at reduced hours, workers let people enter one a time, make them put gloves on and in some places even spray if needed hand sanitizers.
    You get in, do not waste time, try to stay distant from other people inside buying, pay and go away.
    Also people are ordered to go grocery shopping only once a week (not many are following these instructions), only one person per family and, if possible, always the same person.

I forgot: paper newstands are open (but with reduced hours) since they sell newspapers (necessity = information) and bus tickets, too.

Okay, my bad, it's not just Floridians, Taxans are spring break partying like it's 2020!

https://abc7.com/health/spring-break...0iaJCiDmK8kL4A

BTW, latest data is showing that 40~50% of those severely hospitalized are actually young people. Maybe younger helps you survived better than older folks..., but likely you'll be alive with permanent organ damage. Particularly male reproductive system. Not sure if this is fake or real news, but perhaps this could scare them young men a bit... party at the risk of losing your dick! They're not afraid to die, but hopefully they'll be afraid to lose their dicks.

Anyway, no wonder US national confirmed cases is spiking out of control...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 19th, 2020 at 12:04 PM.

Junior Potato
    In Queensland, all of our cases are either people arriving from overseas, or close contact with confirmed cases. We have no wide spread community transmission here.

Has anyone got confirmed info of the same in other countries? Esp the US?

No widespread transmission here either, but short scale local transmission is definitely happening.

That's what was happening earlier on..., but now community spread is pretty common here in the US. Don't know how wide spread we are right now, but it is more common to hear cases that involved people who don't travel internationally at all or just have no clue where they got it from.

I wonder if the warmer weather there really does help slow the spread. Singapore is pretty warm all year round and they seemed to have it under control too.

So hopefully warmer florida and texas won't be too bad... CA has been unseasonably cold and rainy... well at least here in LA. I'm sure that doesn't help.

Anyway, the southern hemisphere is going to cooler soon, so be prepared...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I wonder if the warmer weather there really does help slow the spread. Singapore is pretty warm all year round and they seemed to have it under control.
    I’m hoping that’s the case, similar to the regular flu. Cases in countries near the equator, and especially in Africa, are very low compared to everywhere else. Either the warmth stops the virus from spreading, or those countries have poor testing and reporting facilities. Could be a combination of both.

Looking forward to summer.

Administrator
    Still not enough for a trend, but today's reported numbers for Los Angeles county (I think the county reports them around noon each day, so I'm assuming they're counts from the previous day) is that we had fewer infections today than yesterday which had fewer than the day before. Not by a lot (40, 46, and 50 respectively), but it also sounds like testing is actually improving out here as well.

It'd be really nice if our weather hadn't turned into Seattle's for the past couple of weeks. I can't remember a time that Los Angeles was this cold, wet, and gloomy for this long.