Page 202 of 207 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2066

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Pro choice: pro abortion
    Pro life: anti abortion
    Sorry to go off topic, but I have to ask who here is 100% for abortion or 100% against abortion?

Iíve often been accused of being too black and white, but I think itís most folks in America being too black a white on this single issue. It should be obvious that abortions are Not always right and also Not always wrong. Why are people fighting about it as if that were the case?

Likewise we need to strike a balance between patriotism and freedom... people are just becoming too extreme in their own views.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; November 22nd, 2020 at 11:01 AM.

Welp, we failed the test and got more restrictions. Outdoor dining is off the table for a minimum of three weeks starting Thursday.

The thing is, outdoor dining's been working pretty well since May. That hasn't been a major vector here. Between that and the 10pm-5am curfew, they just seem like pointless and ineffective countermeasures. It's not like the virus only comes out at night, and the things that have been creating superspreader events aren't banned.

I tend to err on the side of "trust the officials who are trying to stop this", and even I'm thinking this is dumb. I can't imagine how ineffective it'll be on the large part of the population that was already skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I tend to err on the side of "trust the officials who are trying to stop this", and even I'm thinking this is dumb. I can't imagine how ineffective it'll be on the large part of the population that was already skeptical.
    Same thing happening here. 28 day lockdown starts tomorrow and I am starting to question the wisdom of trusting these officials. Itís becoming clearer and clearer that they donít have a clue what theyíre doing, and itís frustrating. I wonít go as far as becoming anti-science, (because thatís just idiotic), but clearly new leadership is needed in terms of policymakers. What theyíre currently doing isnít working.

Here we have a woman in charge who is a smug bitch wearing tacky scarves on TV, and I want to kick her in the face. Sheís the main doctor in charge of Torontoís Covid task force, and likes to sprinkle in reminders of her ďauthorityĒ every now and then. I swear when that happens I go straight into raging anti-masker mode. Canít stand her.

Hell, I'd just be happy with a "this is why we think this will help." I try to have an open mind, but it's hard to figure out how "the thing that's been working pretty well for us is probably the problem now" makes a lot of sense.

The truth is, they need to start seriously going after the mega-churches still holding indoor services, places still doing weddings, and places like the house behind us that keeps hosting huge parties.

The only way I can see how the current plan makes sense is in the same way that forcing everyone to do pushups when one recruit fails at something works. Piss off everyone until they're so irritated they take it upon themselves to make sure the actual screwups stop screwing up.

Junior Potato
    The USA is unique in that it has a very strong anti-authoritarian vein in its culture.

Your policymakers are probably walking the tightrope between measures effective enough to work and being able to justify them to a population that would just as easily ignore them if they felt that they were too restrictive.

Sending cops around to break up a party or putting a halt to all indoor church ceremonies seems like the sort of thing that would piss off the religious zealot Yanks who don't like being told what to do. It would end up on Fox news really quickly.

Compare that to Australia, where if we are told to not go anywhere we say "sweet-as" and sit inside for a month making sculptures out of toilet paper.

Completely agreed, except that I don't think these measures will be effective enough to work, or really do much at all.

Again, I completely understand that I might be wrong, but so far nobody's offering up any reason for them other than "we have to do *something*".
    Last edited by Tom Servo; November 22nd, 2020 at 10:03 PM.

Officials in most western nations are just not ready for this...

Taiwan was totally prepared, they already had a plan in case another SARS outbreaks, they also had the appropriate officials in charge and they have a mostly cooperative population. Even in the event when there a dumbass spreader causing a problem, officials donít shame them nor throw their authoritative weigh around in order to get people to cooperate fully and try to stop the spread quickly.

If a nation didnít have a plan, had the wrong person in charge, and a population that hates authorities, then becoming like America is an inevitability.

Itís clear that America doesnít know what itís doing and a lot of Americans willingly or unwillingly sacrificed themselves to help develop vaccines which will become freely available to a lot of other more progressive nations later on....

There's definitely some merit to that. There was a complete lack of leadership at the top that just kept trying to deny that anything was happening combined with non-committal messaging from states that suddenly found themselves facing a lack of federal funds if they took the threat seriously. That lead to both extended lockdowns/unemployment and a lack of solid answers that helped conspiracy theories thrive amongst those that suddenly found themselves with a whole lot of time on their hands, very little in the way of clear information, and a solid internet connection.

You end up in a situation like this. Local government *trying* to be pragmatic in what measures they think they can take but with a swirling conspiracy theory storm around them that has become so entrenched that it's nearly impossible to actually do the things we could do to get back to normal life, and the attempts to be pragmatic are so obviously the wrong moves that even the non-conspiracy people are thinking "why are we arbitrarily choosing these limits, which threaten a lot of people's livelihoods, when the real problems aren't being dealt with at all?"

Definitely want to make it clear that I think our local government is doing what they can to stop this spike, are well-intentioned, and acting in good faith, but I also think that we've found ourselves in a misinformation shitstorm that almost nobody knows how to get out of. A misinformation shitstorm that's so bad that not only have we backed ourselves into the corner where the only thing that might get us out of it is a vaccine, it has also made a significant portion of the population unwilling to take the vaccine.

Taiwan had a Ďcommanderí in charge ensuring sufficient masks are produced and fairly distributed and contact trace,etc. That commander isnít really military, but a dentist. Iím not sure how a dentist got that job but at least he knows what heís doing...

During a pandemic, somebody in CDC or some medical professional like Fauci should also be in this role able to coordinate efforts to fight this virus rather than allowing politicians to dick around.

Hope weíve learned our lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The truth is, they need to start seriously going after the mega-churches still holding indoor services, places still doing weddings, and places like the house behind us that keeps hosting huge parties.

The only way I can see how the current plan makes sense is in the same way that forcing everyone to do pushups when one recruit fails at something works. Piss off everyone until they're so irritated they take it upon themselves to make sure the actual screwups stop screwing up.
    You're not wrong, Tom... but what you're suggesting is against our Constitutional right to assemble. It makes it a big problem because those mass gatherings which are super-spreaders really only get shut down with marshal law type mechanics. That could end up saving us in the short run and have the population erupt in anger and non-civility in the long run.

I don't have much of a better solution though. The problem is now and the solutions/strategies have to be implemented yesterday.

Perhaps a carrot technique might work: People will have access to the vaccine on an accelerated timeline if they can demonstrated that they've been socially distance responsible for x amount of weeks/months. With penalties for attempting to lie about it. I dunno...