Page 119 of 433 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

DC Metro?

If so then reality is clearly moving to somewhere else.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I’ve been noticing more and more people out socializing, and fewer people wearing masks/social distancing. I have a feeling we’re going to see another bump in numbers here in the coming weeks with the way people are relaxing. Hopefully not and I’m just being pessimistic.
    Man your country is vastly different from ours. I know it doesn't need mentioning yet again, but...

We are still very cautious about re-opening things. 10-20 new cases a day. One state is doing this, another state is doing that. Each region is tailoring it to their specific conditions.

In general there is a bit of apathy about it because our numbers are so low. Nobody is protesting though, or holding up old Nazi slogans on placards. Here it's just like, "Nah, yeah" and we're getting on with it. Some of us have lost jobs, some have permanently lost them, but nobody has lost their marbles. If a cluster springs up our government tells everyone within spitting distance to stay home while they trace all contacts and do a deep clean.

In Victoria they closed a school today because ONE teacher tested positive. This morning a federal government stooge (right wing) chastised the Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews (left wing) on the radio for not opening schools to all students apart from the offspring of essential workers. Some two hours later the above news broke. Nice timing.

Also Australians love a bludge. This is fantastic.

And as a belligerent introvert I've always wanted the general public to get out of my personal space. I am in heaven right now.

Re: opening things back up.

As long as the R0, known as the R-naught, remains under or around 1, it makes sense to reopen some things.

The reason things were shut down was to slow the spread and not overload the hospitals. There was zero chance of eliminating the viral spread. That part is just unrealistic.

As long as the R-naught remains around one, we can begin to phase things in.

There will be a 'second' wave. That is just how these things work. However, we need to accept that we may continue to have a wave of openings, and closings, until a vaccine it heard immunity is achieved.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    If a cluster springs up our government tells everyone within spitting distance to stay home while they trace all contacts and do a deep clean.
    This is where the problem lies, I think. We just do not have that capability right now, I'm not aware of any contact tracing going on here. There's no push from the federal level to get that capability either, as far as I can tell. I know some of the states are trying to set up their own thing, and gaining that is one of the benchmarks our state's governor has set for starting to reopen things, but who knows how far out that is.

It’s mind boggling why we still don’t have that capability... are we just incompetent or perhaps the floodgate has already been opened too wide at this point?

Anyway, found an interesting prediction model. If current trend holds, the world could managed to stop 97% of the cases by end of May... to 100% eradicate this will be around Dec timeframe.

But of course we can’t possibly shutdown the world til December and current trend most likely won’t continue especially thanks to us Americans...

https://ddi.sutd.edu.sg/

Administrator
    Well, after musing whether I'd feel comfortable going to a show in August (I probably wouldn't), question got answered for me and the Primus show has been postponed indefinitely. I'm thinking it's for the best.

Over 2600 new cases today in Canada. It’d been ranging between 1200-1800 in the last 3-4 weeks. Just when you thought it might start dropping, boom a big upwards spike. It’s getting so frustrating.

Regarding opening things up. That’s being discussed in Ontario as well. The majority of Canadian cases are in Quebec, while here we’re sort of seeing it level off. Nothing wrong with opening up provided people continue to adhere to social distancing. My sixth sense tells me things will not go smoothly.

Administrator
    Someone on our work Slack posted a story about Oklahoma rescinding its rule that you have to wear a mask when going into an essential business after people started harassing store employees and making death threats over it.

"Hey, motherfucker, you let us try to kill you or else we're gonna try to kill you!"

Wow! Excellent news!

And yeah, probably a good idea to get everyone flu shots... so that if anyone one gets seriously sick, we could simply assume it’s covid19...

Anyway, Good job NZ!