Page 160 of 433 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210260 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator

A friend shared a FB post called A Drama in Four Parts. The first image was some idiot declaring that masks are stupid and he won't wear one. The second image was him complaining that he tested positive for COVID-19. The third one was him complaining that the virus sucks and he's struggling to breathe. The fourth image is his obituary.

Looks legit.

There were no complaints in his obituary? Doesn’t sound like the guy!

Anyway, it’s amazing Disney world opened its door in Florida... why didn’t Disneyland in CA open up?

Not sure what metrics they used to make their decisions...

Park in red state would cater to republicans and the park in blue state would cater to the democrats... and the parks in China and HK would probably cater to the communists? Good business strategy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Florida clocking in with 11,400+ today. FUCK YEAH!
    Jesus, that’s well over Australia’s total in a single day.

Maybe this will be the clorine the US gene pool needs.

Winning?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndMoparMan View Post
    Maybe this will be the clorine the US gene pool needs.
    COVID is disproportionately affecting (and killing*) black and brown people. Many of whom are aware and being very careful. It's not the chlorine we need. Ifit only affected the people being stupid about wearing masks and taking precautions i'd probably agree with you, but that is not the case.

*many black and brown people live in impoverished areas, a lot of which are food deserts, and many of which are also polluted (lets not get into the history of that!) and thus have lingering/ underlying health issues that make them more susceptible to death, if they get it. We don't want to examine the structural and systemic bias that "corrals" them into these areas, then keeps them there either.

See below video for context about reallocation of urban funds to areas where black/ brown/ poor typically don't live. An angle most people don't even think about.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    See below video for context about reallocation of urban funds to areas where black/ brown/ poor typically don't live. An angle most people don't even think about.
    A similar thing is the rich whiteys voting against universal healthcare, because they don't want their tax money paying to help black/brown/poor people when they go to hospital.

Some might see it as subtle racism. To me it's just open racism, but it's buried under a layer of nuance that lets voters get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    A similar thing is the rich whiteys voting against universal healthcare, because they don't want their tax money paying to help black/brown/poor people when they go to hospital.

Some might see it as subtle racism. To me it's just open racism, but it's buried under a layer of nuance that lets voters get away with it.
    Yup. There are *a lot* of ways of enforcing/ enacting subtle racism classism. The city I live in, McKinney. Tejas, doesn't have public transportation. And refused to connect to the Dallas light rail when it expanded north. To keep out the poors.

Man, I wish I had bookmarked it now, but at lunch time I was reading a tweet/ thread from a lawyer. A public defender. Female. African American.

She tweeted how she was so proud when she passed the bar and thought she was a radical. Then hit us with the "I got radicalized when on MY FIRST DAY IN COURT I saw a woman cop 60 days in Rikers Island, for stealing a Snickers bar from Rite Ade." It wasn't her client of course.

Then all the other PDs started chiming in. The one that broke my heart was a pregnant single mother who went to a house to do hair, there was a raid, it turned out it was a drug house, and she got *years* for not ratting.

Not for the drugs. Not for being an accessory or anything (clean record.) For not snitching in the people in the house. YEARS.

Unrelated to COVID, I know, but tangential to the discussion of systemic oppression.
    Last edited by neanderthal; July 13th, 2020 at 12:44 AM.