Page 163 of 433 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    wow, pandemic thread is slipping down the pit stop page....fatigue?

Anyway, was looking at the insane numbers still happening, but I see a key difference here:

State......................Cases...........Deaths

New York..............441,882.............32,731

California.............480,315.............8,774
    Florida.................451,423.............6,335
    Texas...................420,991.............6,190

Noted that New York was one of the very first places in the US hit with it, and the death rate is exponentially higher than the other 3 states with much more recent numbers. Hopefully that means the treatments being done now are helping a lot.

I was looking at Australia yesterday. Wow. They kicked ass early on but then relapsed very badly. WTF happened? And is it inevitable for everyone?

You kind of sink into a despair thinking of this.

I suspect it's the age groups being infected makes a huge difference on death rate. Earlier on, we have a bunch of nursing home infections, naturally death rate will be higher than the younger folks being infected during spring breaks or at bars...

Southern hemisphere is going thru winter now. Colder weather can't possibly make things better for pneumonia.

Australia had pretty much a single point of failure...
    People returning from other countries (these had to be citizens) were in quarantine in hotels, with security making sure they stayed.
    Well the security staff got infected and it quickly spread to their families, church members and from there it exploded out.

Latest stupidity was 2 teenagers who are from Queensland. That state was covid free. But these girls returned from Victoria, lied about where they had been and now have tested positive and infected other people. And now all Qlds hard work has been put at risk.

Victoria is about to announce 700 new cases. This seems small by USA standards, but it will be our worse new daily cases for any state. So its still getting worse.

I guess humans will be humans... I used to shake my head at some of the stupid things some Chinese people did..., now I’m shaking my head at what some Americans do..., I guess it’s only fair that we get to shake heads at some aussies and kiwis...

Thanks to stupid people around the world, we’ll just have to deal with this I guess...

It is quite mind boggling really..., this isn’t like climate change, the effects of infection should be quite rapid and apparent. Hopefully sooner rather than later these people will finally understand the seriousness of the situation...

I grow tired of explaining basic anatomy and physiology along with basics in pharmacology, every... Single... Fucking... Day...

Administrator
    Hey, the county got our R-number under 1 for the first time in...well, a long time...today. Here's hoping we can keep it there.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I was looking at Australia yesterday. Wow. They kicked ass early on but then relapsed very badly. WTF happened? And is it inevitable for everyone?

You kind of sink into a despair thinking of this.
    Dicknose pretty much covered it.

But it also might have been the sudden onset of winter on that one day that caused cases to explode, and how summer has caused the USA cases to dwindle to almost zero for the last two months.

The thing I don’t understand is how Melbourne got 700+ cases today after going back into lockdown three weeks ago. Hopefully we start to see the masks have an effect next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Dicknose pretty much covered it.

But it also might have been the sudden onset of winter on that one day that caused cases to explode, and how summer has caused the USA cases to dwindle to almost zero for the last two months.
    Oh don't be so sarcastic dude!

Pretty sure coronavirus will become seasonal like flu, but probably will do better than flu virus all year round. I think the main reason coronavirus didn't go away during hot weather was because people tend to stay indoors because of AC. If humanity had never invented AC, then perhaps it might be possible to completely end transmission...

Anyway, like Swervo has said, at least we've managed to reduced R0 down to a more manageable level during hotter weather considering how many anti-maskers or coronavirus deniers or freedumb loving folks we have around here...

However, what's happening down under gave us a glimpse of what's to come as we enter the fall and winter months... 1 little mistake has caused an explosion of new infections... Rest assured that Americans will not be making only a single mistake. We may see that winter wave becoming much higher than the 1st wave... anyway, USA just might become the 1st nation to reach herd immunity...

BTW, just found out Herman Cain, who attended Trump's Tulsa rally healthy and without mask, has died because of coronavirus. Not really sure whether to laugh or cry about that...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 30th, 2020 at 09:10 AM.