Page 164 of 433 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Dicknose pretty much covered it.

But it also might have been the sudden onset of winter on that one day that caused cases to explode, and how summer has caused the USA cases to dwindle to almost zero for the last two months.

Yeah I've been noticing occasional zeros as part of the daily five figure numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    You kind of sink into a despair thinking of this.
    Hey man, life is never going to be easy. Nor frankly is it like a Hollywood movie or TV series. In real-life, stuff takes time and hard work to sort out and mistakes are made and dead-ends hit along the way. Just be realistic and take the view that we'll be in it for at least the medium-term (say 1-2 years), then get on with life as best as one can. Also remember that every country or region is different in terms of living etc. conditions and handles things differently, not just in terms of the govt but also its people. Even if there is a vaccine it will take a significant period before everyone relevant is inoculated, particularly when there are still the anti-vaccine nutters around.

With that said, one thing that is particularly important for everyone is to be careful and cynical of the "silver bullet"/"game changer" rubbish that certain politicians (somre more than others) seem to love spouting. Of course they'll spout it as they think it will help them sway public opinion and ensure they will be re-elected. It's particularly helpful for those whose administration's response has left something to be desired.

Administrator
    On the other hand, it's okay to feel shitty about this. We're grieving loss here. I'm doing comparatively well - I haven't lost any family members, I'm still employed, my wife is still employed, and I still feel like shit a lot of the time when I realize that the life I knew is gone for a long while. I haven't seen my friends, I haven't seen my family, my office is closed until at least Aug. 2021 now.

Totally agree that one should be realistic and take that view, but it's okay to be depressed about it.

Yup, I'm pretty certain I'm done explaining medical practices with people who don't work in healthcare, and don't understand medicine or pharmacology

Administrator
    This something you're having to do a lot in person or is it an "idiots on the internet" kinda thing?

Both.

I do have 1 person I have been explaining things for a while, who isn't medical, and I believe he is starting to understand the process of science. He's asking questions now instead of making claims.

I have one other I am working on, but after that, I'm probably done.

Yeah, as long as patients are humbly asking questions, they should be fine, right?

For those who think they're better than doctors, certainly don't waste your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    On the other hand, it's okay to feel shitty about this. We're grieving loss here. I'm doing comparatively well - I haven't lost any family members, I'm still employed, my wife is still employed, and I still feel like shit a lot of the time when I realize that the life I knew is gone for a long while. I haven't seen my friends, I haven't seen my family, my office is closed until at least Aug. 2021 now.

Totally agree that one should be realistic and take that view, but it's okay to be depressed about it.
    Yeah, the milk is spilled. How long we cry about it is up to us. Our lives will be different from now on... so we just have to find ways to adapt.

One casualty of this pandemic is marriages. A lot of couples cannot handle being so together 24/7 like this... of course in the other extreme would be another generation of baby boomers!

I'm actually handling this okay, but wife really misses traveling...

So I'm thinking of getting a RV so that we can travel around the US on our own... hey, if I could get cell reception, I wouldn't mind working from a national park somewhere...

Anyway, I think this is a good time for all of us to self reflect what's really important in life... and do something about it if you can... or once you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I disagree that one is generally entitled to take the attitude that it's OK to be depressed or in despair about the pandemic and its course. One can certainly and understandably feel sad and unhappy (which I think are different from feeling depressed or in despair) that life in general and for now has changed in many ways. An attitude of depression/despair would also be understandable if it has caused major personal issues, such as the loss of loved ones, employment, and/or housing.

However if there are no major personal issues, it is important to assume that in the long run things are highly likely to get better, and to try and deal with it in such a way so as to minimise the risk of major personal issues cropping up. This is more productive than getting stuck in a rut of despair which seems to be caused mainly by certain politicians and other morons talking absolute rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson
    Yup, I'm pretty certain I'm done explaining medical practices with people who don't work in healthcare, and don't understand medicine or pharmacology
    I feel your pain, bro.

Administrator
    I guess we'll have to disagree there. I think burying what I consider to be actual grief instead of feeling it is counterproductive and ultimately less productive in the end. It does sound like we have very different definitions of feeling depressed, though.