Page 166 of 433 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Junior Potato
    Victoria:

State of disaster declared in Victoria

671 new COVID-19 cases

1. No one is allowed to be more than 5km from home for essential items, and only 1 person from each household is allowed to shop for essential items only ONCE a day

2. Each person is allowed only one hour of of exercise a day outside of your home. Maximum of 2people together, no families wandering/biking/playing together.

3. Curfew across metro Melbourne 8pm - 5am
    Only reasons to be out during curfew is: give care, get care or go to and from Work. Proof will be required if you are asked by Police.
    Enforced at 8pm tonight.

4. From Midnight Wednesday, Regional Victoria will move to Stage 3 restrictions.

5. No essential services will be affected : woolies/Coles/butchers/takeaway are NOT effected by this change.

6. No need to rush out and panic buy (Poor Dan having to spell this out)

7. On Wednesday ALL schools move to flexible & remote learning across the state. Exemptions of course. Regional VIC included, with further exemptions permitted.

8. In place for 6 weeks, until 13 September 2020.

Further details re: fines/govt payments/enforcement to come, but $1652 fine if you’re out after 8pm with no acceptable reason. You can be fined multiple times!

Edited to add:

9. Weddings banned from Thursday

10. Intimate partners visits and shared custody arrangements will not be affected, but the Curfew overrules this. You can visit your Missus more than 5km away, but you have to be home by 8pm, or you stay the night (hello high school sleepovers!)

11. Supermarket hours are up to the stores, but you cannot be out shopping after 8pm.
    Panic buying of TP has taken off again. Aaaaand sim racing gear is once again in high demand among victorians.

HAY GUYZ remember when in Feb a bloomberg article came out saying HK was showing symptoms of a failed state because of it being one of the first places to suffer a rush on toilet paper?

Administrator
    Not really, nobody reads Bloomberg

Maybe not the people on this forum who don't live in HK.

I think Bloomberg wasn’t far off, symptoms of failed states ended up spreading globally!

USA has since became the greatest failed state ever! Thus fulfilling Trump’s campaign promise...

Anyway, humans will be humans... doing stupid things is what we do.

BTW, Germans are now protesting like us Americans!

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-53622797

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I have a joke about a Bloomberg terminal, but I wouldn't know how to adequately use it.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Victoria:

1. No one is allowed to be more than 5km from home for essential items, and only 1 person from each household is allowed to shop for essential items only ONCE a day

2. Each person is allowed only one hour of of exercise a day outside of your home. Maximum of 2people together, no families wandering/biking/playing together.
    I don't have any cycling buddies in Victoria, but amongst friends here in SA we've been drawing 5km circles around our houses to see where we could ride under the same circumstances.

I'm lucky enough to have a large national park to go playing in, but others would essentially be stuck doing mainies in their local area.

The main point I was trying to make is that that article got a lot of traction at the time and was peddled/trumpeted by various sectors with their own "interests" (in pretty much all senses of the word) in the region.

Since then, TP runs broke out in a lot of other Western-hemisphere countries on the planet, but for some mysterious reason the same columnist did NOT write
    "TP runs in XYZ Country/Region mean that it is SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF A FAILED STATE!!!!" Nor did various people suddenly start peddling such as symptoms of those other countries being FAILED STATES!!!?!?!?!!!111!!!!1!!!

Another amusing example (not exactly the same of course) is how a certain other country was trumpeted by the media in the western hemisphere as "GOLD STANDARD YO!1!11!!!!!" and happily lapped up all the attendant praise until cases jumped because it had spread throughout migrant worker quarters, which had fallen through the cracks

I appreciate that not everyone here probably buys into the sort of narrative in the Bloomberg article or the "GOLD STANDARD" stuff. But I'm just trying to point out that one always needs to adjust for bias and agenda (even or especially if the agenda is "PUBLISH SOMETHING WHICH GETS US MORE CLICKS/EYEBALLS") when reading or disseminating anything.

There are, perhaps, other examples in other area. But those are probably left to threads other than the pandemic thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    I have a joke about a Bloomberg terminal, but I wouldn't know how to adequately use it.
    In all seriousness, I found Bloomberg terminals (when I used to use them, a lifetime ago aka 2 decades ago) pretty user-friendly. Admittedly this was after some basic training from them. But I really didn't actually find them that hard to use. At least they were responsive and had colours and a reasonably logical layout.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; August 3rd, 2020 at 02:12 AM.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    I don't have any cycling buddies in Victoria, but amongst friends here in SA we've been drawing 5km circles around our houses to see where we could ride under the same circumstances.

I'm lucky enough to have a large national park to go playing in, but others would essentially be stuck doing mainies in their local area.
    https://2kmfromhome.com/

Set your radius and do mainies with confidence.

Junior Potato
    Also I love that we have a universal language and I knew exactly what you meant. It’s like the single up-nod from the drivers seat.