Page 185 of 433 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    India will be a disaster, although I'm kind of surprised how slowly it's spread thus far. It'll probably do huge damage in their slums though.
    I do not know much about India's slums or the housing/lack thereof. What has been notable here in Los Angeles is that the expected toll on the homeless population just hasn't happened, there have been numerous articles now talking about how the toll Covid has taken on them has been comparatively low compared to the rest of the population. Again, don't know enough about the situation to know if there's a parallel, but that was my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndMoparMan View Post
    likely numbers are not getting reported or something like that, G'day.
    Yeah, that's probably likely

Regarding LA homeless population, the theory Of their low positivity and mortality rate was perhaps because they live outside and/or in their own tents?

However, I don’t believe we’ve tested all of our homeless population?

I read that Boston’s homeless population were tested more thoroughly and they end up having over 70% asymptomatic cases...
    So hard to draw firm conclusions whether we dodged a bullet or not.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndMoparMan View Post
    likely numbers are not getting reported or something like that, G'day.
    Like with us. Officially in the 70ish thousand deaths, with ten times that in infections. That puts us above 10% lethality. Officially.

However, excess deaths for the year, for Mexico City, which is the only demarcation that has data on that, shows they're at least doubling their covid numbers. We could extrapolate that to the rest of the country, and boom! Close to a 150k deaths. So, 20% lethality? Unlikely. People in Mexico are getting sick, not getting treatment and dying or getting unreported treatment. Such is the precariousness of our institutions.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Many of our cases for a while were people returning from India.
    Same here, at least in the Toronto area. There’s a suburb called Brampton, which is heavily populated with Indians, (or South Asians as they call us), and it’s among the hardest hit in terms of Covid cases. Mostly because of people returning from India, and partly because people aren’t taking social distancing guidelines seriously.

Israel appears to be on its third wave.

This tweet from a doctor says a 21 year old had a heart attack. Covid ain't playing yall.

https://twitter.com/BrettPransky/sta...673435649?s=20

Yes, myocardial tissue damage is one of the observed effects of SARS-CoV2 infection in younger, otherwise healthy, patients.
    acket.

They say for little kids too, which makes sending them to school an ill-advised idea.

Oh fuck, really?
    acket.

One thing I've been tracking myself is the rate of acceleration of the outbreak by comparing the number of new cases in the last week to the new cases in the week before. Judging by that, the USA could be starting a third wave (or should we just call it a peak of the first wave?) now. It does turn pretty quickly sometimes, but every other time the acceleration has gone above 10 cases per million (per week) it's kept going all the way up to nearly 40.
    Last edited by G'day Mate; September 21st, 2020 at 04:54 PM.