Page 187 of 433 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

I heard Africa is doing very well, confirmed cases and deaths way below initial projections... a mystery scientists are still trying to figure out why...

Administrator
    I've hesitated to throw out that I think you should consider reading the book "Factfulness", Billi, but I found it pretty eye-opening. It shouldn't be a mystery. Most African nations have excellent healthcare systems and have been primed by already fighting other epidemics.

Administrator
    Similarly, just as a reminder from a few years ago - now is the time to start going through the propositions, maybe one per day, and deciding how you're going to vote. I like http://ballotpedia.org, maybe there's a different one you prefer, but please don't come back here again claiming you didn't have time to understand what you were voting for.

Yeah, I think I read this article yesterday and got that idea... https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1241026

And thought perhaps there’s a miracle happening in Africa!

I can understand why Asia might be doing better but have to admit I know very little about Africa.

Anyway, regarding figuring out those stupid ca propositions, yeah, thanks for the tip and reminder. This pandemic should help giving me more time to think about them!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    There's also the fact that Africa is really fucking huge, and aside from a handful of megalopolis, they're pretty not cool about living elbow to elbow.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    One thing I've been tracking myself is the rate of acceleration of the outbreak ...
    Acceleration has been slowing for about 5 days now, for what it's worth.

I'm tracking Australia (blue), NZ (yellow), Italy (grey) and the USA (orange). Below is my chart, which is adjusted for population:

As I said, it shows new cases this week vs. the previous week, so above 0 means it's accelerating and below means it's slowing down.
    Last edited by G'day Mate; September 28th, 2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added colours

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Orange looks pretty erratic, look at the width of the third and fourth peaks.

Gray is also pretty slow to respond to increments in the number of cases.
    acket.

Anything above 0 is bad, obviously closer to 0 is better than bigger - but decreasing but positive acceleration is still growth.
    Australia and NZ numbers will have to move towards 0 or positive, you cant keep it negative when you hit 0 new cases!!

Yeah, it can be misleading because 0 is good only if you have no new cases. If you had a problem last week, and this week you're on 0, you've still got the same problem.

In fact that's about where Italy (grey) is now. They had an acceleration and are now just getting the same steady amount of new cases.

Second wave well underway here. Numbers look nasty. I suspect another lockdown will be looming.
    Last edited by sandydandy; September 29th, 2020 at 09:36 AM.