Page 2 of 433 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    it seems most of the confirmed cases being reported are people who came directly from Wuhan and not transmitted in other ways....yet?

Yeah, notice of a lockdown came quick. But still 5million left town. Surely some of those 5 million flew abroad. They know hospitals in Wuhan would be swamped. Many flew abroad either already made plans to travel during lunar New Years or simply flew abroad to seek medical help.

Meh

I read about an infected gal boasting about her adventures in Shanghai Disneyland in Chinese articles...

Here’s one in English, about another infected gal traveled to France to eat at a Michelin restaurant and bragging on social media.

These entitled spoiled selfish brats...
    https://apple.news/AHB2uF7tpQB6rkSdl7fSDzg

Since you seem to be posting most of the stuff in this thread, despite living in suburban California, I have clicked through to read your stuff.

Everyone should be aware that Apple Daily is basically not too far off the Fox News of the HK anti-government/anti-CCP movement. Important for people to know about editorial biases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Since you seem to be posting most of the stuff in this thread, despite living in suburban California, I have clicked through to read your stuff.

Everyone should be aware that Apple Daily is basically not too far off the Fox News of the HK anti-government/anti-CCP movement. Important for people to know about editorial biases.

Here is a regularly updated tracker of all confirmed cases and where those confirmed cases are located. Run by Johns Hopkins.

I find this to be more useful, and maybe a bit more scary. The confirmed cases from within mainland China jumped 1K in just a day.

I agree. Thanks for that. Hard figures are useful to know about. Also, hope you guys can bear in mind that a lot of steps are being taken here in Asia to prevent it spreading further.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    This is what Dr. Macías, the infectologist who was put in charge of the contention effort during the Mexican H1N1 otubreak in 2009 posted to twitter:

In most outbreaks there are large contagious actors due to either their mobility or their excretion of the agent (superspreaders). With nCoV2019, China tries to make it less likely for one of those to leave the region; It seems difficult for them to succeed but we must thank them.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post

Dude, I simply copied and pasted an article shown to me by Apple's news app. It's not an article from Apple Daily. Nevertheless, with my anti-CCP stance, Apple algorithm probably has already figured out the kind of news to feed me. Furthermore, I would take Fox News and Apply Daily news over the Chinese communist's state news any time of the day. I'd also prefer Trump over Xi to be my president any time of the day. (in case somebody assumes that I love Trump, just want to clarify that I do believe he is probably the worst US president EVER!)

In China, Winnie the Pooh is banned because some netizens scoffed at Xi looking like Pooh. Houston Rockets merchandise can disappear over nite in China because its GM tweeted out "free HK". Yes, under such a regime, if Xi really wants to stop the spread of disease, I'm sure he'll be able to do it with remarkable efficiency and effectiveness. However, if he wants to cover up something, it'll also be very easy to do as well. I just don't trust him and his government... and I hate how the CCP has transformed the chinese people into something so very foreign to me.

As for me, I live in an area of LA full of mainlander chinese. My parents escaped to Taiwan when the commies came about. So although I was born in Taiwan, I do have chinese heritage. My mom was actually visiting her sister in Nanjing just recently, the only sibling left behind. My mom returned on Jan 14 just before news broke. Hope she's not a carrier... she told me she did catch a flu, but she's all better now...

Anyway, so please don't assume that I know nothing about modern day China. I also wish to reiterate that I mostly hate the current CCP in charge, not my chinese heritage. If you didn't know, I'm supporting a chinese guy to be a US president! If the CCP wish to make me a fan of them, please take good care of HK. Please don't threaten Taiwan. Do things that are friendly to the HK people and the Taiwanese, the Tibetans, etc... so that they'd all gladly be part of a China that they can be proud of. Do you never wonder why so many 'provinces' wish to declare their independence? Until then, I can't trust anything the CCP government is saying. Taking their reports at face value would be a foolish thing to do. I'm pretty sure the numbers of infected and dead in China is far higher than reported. Hopefully the lockdowns will slow the spread of the disease inside China.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 28th, 2020 at 08:52 AM.

I have one close Chinese friend who I’ve known since high school. Five years ago we went to Vegas with some other friends and I found out for the first time that he was actually Vietnamese. Also found out that he had a Vietnamese name. I had only known him by his Anglo name for decades.

Even though he’s Vietnamese we still refer to him as the Chinese guy.

Anyway...a third confirmed case reported in Canada. Has there been a vaccine developed for this yet? I remember during the SARS epidemic they scrambled for weeks trying to come up with a vaccine.